‘Dendrogram’ LCD watch, a geeks graph of time.

Design submitted by Cory from the USA.

Cory says: Dendrograms are in the words of a friend of mine ‘possibly the coolest graphical means of illustrating data ever.’ Seeing circular dendrograms out of a linux based computation got me to thinking of how I could fashion a timepiece out of the graphing method.

The hours are denoted in semicircles on the inner dendrogram. The minutes form the outer graph, with each five minute segment forming one portion of the data set for easy recognition. Each fifteen minute segment completes one fourth of the graph’s data sets. The fifteen, thirty, forty five, and sixty minute segments are capsule shaped instead of circular for easier recognition.

Those who wish to unleash their inner graph-geek would definitely be drawn to this design.

The use of the dendrogram graph in an LCD display as well as the touch screen functionality of this watch would make it an instant success with the gadget enthusiasts.

Rating: 4.3/5
'Dendrogram' LCD watch, a geeks graph of time., 4.3 out of 5 based on 151 ratings

Tags: , , , , , ,

38 Responses to “‘Dendrogram’ LCD watch, a geeks graph of time.”

1. avatar PhantomM says:

OMG! This watch looks beautiful!

2. avatar Heather says:

I like this one a lot. It has a really neat, futuristic and geometric look, yet is very easy to read and familiar enough for those who like analog. (Which btw, is usually not me)…5*/yes (as long as the size is appropriate)

3. avatar Cory says:

Thanks to Tokyoflash for adding my design here :)

@Phantom: Beautiful is a great descriptor, much thanks!

@Heather: I’m glad you like the look of the thing. You and I seem to have opposite ends of the Tokyoflash spectrum as our preferences. I have Satellite, RPM, and Rogue SR2 (all of which are in keeping with the analog style of design) Most of my designs also typify this predilection. Thanks for your coment :D

Very beautiful looking watch Cory. I was wondering if you are a Rogue fan. ;) At first I thought OMG that’s going to be tough to read, but when I looked further I realised that it’s actually very easy to understand. Good job! 5* and Yes!

5. avatar Pyract says:

The face is gorgeous and the watchband is killer. I’d buy this in a heartbeat!

The coexistence of awesome look and ease of reading is just great. So cool! Very eye-catching display and the case ans straps… wanna wanna :D Good luck with it Cory!!

Looks great and easy to read! My favorit of your designs so far! 5/Yes
    Best of luck! :D

8. avatar Cory says:

@Mushy: Rogue classic is one of my fav Tokyoflash watches of all time, which is why I got a SR2. I’m glad you find my design pleasing!

@Pyract: Gorgeous and Killer, a winning combo! Thank you :)

@Sam: Thanks as always, guy! Your endorsement means a lot!

9. avatar Toby says:

That’s awsome man, keep up the good work :)

10. avatar Rob says:

This is an amazing design, one of the best, would look stunning at night with a nice blue or green backlight.

11. avatar Rob says:

Love this design, would look amazing in the dark with a gentle blue or green backlight!

12. avatar diclonius says:

very cool!
    5/Y :)

13. avatar Rob says:

What an awesome design, would look stunning in the dark with a nice, gentle light green or blue back light.

14. avatar Keiron says:

Hey Cory. Definately still the coolest graphical means of illustrating data in my book :) Interesting that u got the idea from Linux, not that I know much about it. Personally reminds me of the arduino lilypad, but sure it would appeal to all kinds of tech junkies, almost looks organic the way it grows like a tree tho. Very nice!

15. avatar Cory says:

Thanks for the kind words, all! :)

@Rob: Yeah, I was thinking either an EL back light or LEDs around the rim of the watch, either would look sweet, methinks. Good feedback.

16. avatar Dianekmt says:

I like the detail in the display, and the watch case and band. Nice work.

Diane.

17. avatar Pyract says:

Seriously, take my money already!

18. avatar Jun Fan Lee says:

I have seen complex circle shapes before, many of them, and I thought I had seen the best of them, untill now.
    You have created a pattern that has not been created before in a watch and many other things, it looks sooo awesome….using complex shapes and turning it into a simple timetelling method, is always a win.

• avatar Cory says:

Good to hear!

When I saw the layout of a circular dendrogram I had to find a way to make it into a time telling method.

As adept as Tokyoflash is with LCD technology, it seemed like the way to go. The tiny little lines that they achieved with Optical Illusion are a great indicator that they could make almost any level of detail into an LCD pattern.

Thank you for your comment and encouragement, Lee-sama!

• avatar Jun Fan Lee says:

The indigo colour compliments this design well, i can just imagine it with a silver strap that would look bad ***

I really like the look of this watch. That’s generally more important to me than the geek- factor. Just a comment – I think there’s a mistake in the first example of the time – should be 12:55, no?

Cheers.

20. avatar Cory says:

Good eye! I’d like to say that ‘it was a test to see if anyone noticed’ but thats simply not the case. It was indeed an oversight on my part. It is indeed showing 12:55

Thanks for the comment :)

21. avatar Dallas says:

I love this…it has a sleek futuristic look, and looks almost alien in nature…and I am amazed by the simplicity, but it still has that complex Tokyoflash flare, I would totally buy this, I hope it comes out soon.

22. avatar ThompsonEnid33 says:

Numbers of college students spend their efforts for coursework completing. Nonetheless, if you order course work, experts will create a piece of art for you. Hence, why not to use it?

23. avatar Jun Fan Lee says:

4.4 stars…thats what i thought (H) hehe

24. avatar Brad Lineberger says:

Okay.. where can i buy this?

This reaches my inner geek.

25. avatar Rich says:

I love the look of this watch! It’s very easy to read but looks devilishly complicated at first glance. It looks like a computerized representation of the centre of a flower or of the seeds in some fruit from outer space, and I really like this mix of futuristic and organic. I’d definitely buy this!

the wristband is so cool. It would be nicer if the hours marks would work like the minutes marks.

27. avatar Rick says:

This watch is so cool! What I really like about it is the combination of both a futuristic and an organic design. I particularly like the way in which the minutes work as it’s logical and easy to read whilst also being quite unique. In fact, I think this design even rivals the Rogue Touch watch in appearance. The wriststrap is also cool.
    I sure hope this watch makes it to the production line – I’d buy it like a shot!

28. avatar Keiron says:

Apologies for such a late comment Corey, I initially sent one via my phone but ther where technical difficulities. The dendrogram is still the coolest graphical means of illustrating ever in my opinion :) Interesting that you got the idea from Linux. Personally it reminds me of the arduino lilypad, but im sure the design would appeal to all kinds of tech junkies, it seems quite organic the way the tree “grows” so I think its a truly awesome design. Best of luck with it!

29. avatar Cory says:

Thanks, all for the comments, votes and shares! I’m rather happy with how this one fared :)

Cheers!