Schacht watch has tunnel vision.

Design submitted by Sam from Germany.

Sam says : The inspiration for this watch comes from the infinite tunnel you can create with two mirrors and from the way, the Kisai 3D Unlimited handles LCD. My idea is to combine the tunnel effect with a colored LCD display and an interesint way to show numbers.

There are four rhombically aligned numbers of which the two top ones show the current hour and the two bottom ones the current minute. The seconds are shown by crosswise positioned numbers in the center. All six numbers form a display that looks like alien hieroglyphs or a circuitry – cryptically looking but actually simple. By placing a mirror below and above the display, it gets visually repeated and forms a vertical tunnel, “Schacht” in german. The top mirror is transparent on its backside and allows us to see the display.

It’s a watch for anyone with a geeky side and a sense for cryptical ornament.

The watch looks confusing at first but isn’t hard to read, once you get used to it. The tunnel effect gives the display an interesting and eye-catching depth.

Rating: 4.4/5
Schacht watch has tunnel vision., 4.4 out of 5 based on 136 ratings

Tags: , , , ,

53 Responses to “Schacht watch has tunnel vision.”

1. avatar Not Steve says:

the layout would take a bit of getting used to, but I’m digging it.

More infinity!

I like the alien circuitry look. It’s cryptic but readable. The tunnel effect creatively adds depth to the cool display.

I luv it :D Hope you do too!

Thank you Tokyoflash for posting my concept!

3. avatar Firdaus says:

Cryptic. I’m digging it too. Hrmmmm… Wonder if gdad63t24t2452y8i25uoiu5iouousfsj &&^%%Y…. This one has a strong theme and has more Tokyoflash feel – just my personal thought. A bit complicated, but it is awesome display! 1 star + 6 stars – 2 stars! and Yes!

Voted ;-)

4. avatar Heather says:

first, Sam, congratulations on being the last posted design of 2011!
    here’s my view on this one:
    +the infinity effect has already proven to be popular, and making it digital is a great twist.
    +digital and always on LCD displays are easy to read at a glance – i love that.
    +the digits are new, and the arrangement is new – very strange looking at first, but also very readable as you say – your animation is very cool!
    +although the seconds are a bit harder to read, that doesn’t even matter because the fact that they are always changing is just an awesome addition to an already cryptic display.
    +the backlight is pretty neat!
    +i prefer the black, with either blue or green display
    +/- i personally don’t love the straps, but that’s just personal taste – the key here is the display – if TF wants to change the straps, they will. also, i would adjust the 4 slightly just so it’s not so easily confused with the 9.
    5*/yes

• avatar Firdaus says:

Oh NOOOOO!! Why it’s Sam??? Just realise it, I’m so jealous now!

• avatar Samukun says:

Yepp, I second the comment about the seconds. And since they always change, it’s the perfect chance to get used to the numbers. Sure, it make brains twitch at first but what is the wearers initital brain twitch is the other people’s mind blow.

Yeah the straps are just a carrier. Imagine whatever you prefer ;)

Actually the bottom segment of the 4 could go. 4 should have a vertical ending. <- A note for the hopefully future designer.

Thank you for all the other points and generally your detailed review and the rating!!

• avatar Pete says:

I wonder who’s design will be the first of 2012?

5. avatar Gordon says:

speechless,5* yeahya

6. avatar IL'JAKalinin says:

Оптимизация сайта здесь

Still a nice watch of Sam, with similarities to the latest design of Heather and Firdaus in typography and with that of Pete in the belt, which does not mean she is not beautiful, but it ‘is somewhat in the same vein (personal taste).
    I like what Sam does, so I allow myself this little comment.
    This model deserves 5 ​​* / Yes, work looked after as usual!

• avatar Samukun says:

The objects depicted in these images are fictitious. Any similarity to any watch concept or product is merely coincidental. ;) Yes, there is a slight parallel in the approach to these concepts. Oh the straps are just simply segmented, they look like hundreds of straps I guess, hehehe.

Thanks for your critical view and your honest and nice words and the rating :D

8. avatar Alain says:

Very beautiful lokk of the future and I love, “can be a bit difficult to read”, but the pleasure of wearing a watch like that, yes yes yes (5 stars) :-)

Hi Sam

Loving this design! The numbers share a style with my edge watch especially with the extruded feel but with your design is a vitual depth as apposed to a physical one. Infinity tunnels seem to be a popular theme at the minute although probably has more to do with the random order of posts.
    My only slight dislike is the crossing of the seconds, if this was my design I would have just had them in the same style as the hours and mins just at a different angle or something. But thats a subjetcive matter.
    Very TF and hopefully makeable!
    I cant think of a clever equation so will just give you 5 stars and Yes Sir

• avatar Samukun says:

There is indeed a sudden interest in infinite mirrors it seems. I’m glad that I found a different way too. The numbers are actually a derivation of the ones I used in my On Line concept. And you will see, I’ll ride that horse until it retires xD

Yeah the seconds. I say, seconds in general aren’t seriously needed at all (pointing at the watches in the shop). Here they are an interesting looking bonus making a properly filled display and serve a purpose in the meantime (telling seconds). Having them here doesn’t mean I wanna compete with a stop watch ;) It’s all a matter of argumentation. Another angle would mean another size to fit in or other distances between each number. So having one thing assumed perfect reveals imperfection around it suddenly. Actually here it’s super relaxed: all numbers have the same size, display harmonically filled. (dramatic pause) But as you say, it’s subjective. There is always a pro and contra :)

Thank you Peter for telling me your impression. And thanks for supporting!

10. avatar Ace says:

Ha! At first I was like WTF? and half asleep, so I couldn’t read the thing, but after looking again is surprisingly easy, and very cool looking.

11. avatar rachid says:

i think it’s your second best watch design well done sam! i would just change the strap

5 * and a happy new year …

12. avatar diclonius says:

another GREAT design.
    the whole idea of a watch with “depth” has been done i few times recently, but knobody else seemed to REALLY nail it…….you did. :)
    5/y

13. avatar Mike says:

Love it! Wrap one up for me. :)

Although I like the look of this watch Sam (your graphics are always brilliant, like Pete’s and a few others), I think the digits are a bit clumsy, especially in the middle. That said I still like their overall appearance, which is slightly contradictory I know. :) For me this is worth 3.5. I can’t give this so you’ll be glad to know I’m not going to vote. :)

15. avatar moose says:

luvv it! I really like the strap design, the way it fits with the watch is glamorous! The only concern I have is that the overall digits (or rather pointer thingys) are a bit off with the rest of the design. But still, I think it looks great!

• avatar Samukun says:

Hi moose! I’m not sure what the pointer thingies are, but I see, the numbers dont fully fit your taste. But cool you like the general look :) Thank you!

16. avatar Ben Dean says:

Awesome Design!

I would certainly buy one or even a couple if it got built. I’d expecially like to see it in matt black aluminium as the angular surface of the case looks very “Stealth” and it would also add to alien-ness of it too.

17. avatar Gabriel_BB says:

great design. looks very cool.

18. avatar Gordon says:

had to come back and hit you with another 5*, this watch is cool, I would happily pay $200 if it could be made as seen here. YOU DA MAN!!!!!!

19. avatar Charles says:

LOVE IT, best “infinity reflection” one in my oppinion. 5 stars and a gargantuan YES

20. avatar Krogsager says:

Amazing watch! :D I would get one for sure! :)

21. avatar Laszlo says:

Endless 5, forever yes! Black/green what i want!

22. avatar Harrison says:

My favorite design on the whole site! I would purchase it right away!

23. avatar Mdk7 says:

I’d buy it in a heartbeat.
    Sooo stylish.

Woohoo, Harrison & Mdk7! Thank you for commenting!!

Thank you everybody for your thoughts! It’s cool to get such feedback! Makes me wanna do more :D

Stay cool, stay critical, eat cookies.

Sam from Germany