Trio watch design puts time-telling into gear.

Design submitted by Anders from Sweden.

Anders says: I was trying to find something new, thinking about ratios of rotation for each hand. An image of three sprockets came to mind, each with a ratio of 60:61 relative to the one before. Thus the minute hand rotates one revolution more than the second hand every minute.

There are two alternative screen layouts. One where the hands are concentric, one where they are distributed around the face. There are also two display modes; one where the hands rotate relative to the 12 or center position, and one where hours and minutes rotate relative to the seconds.

The display is projected through a layer of brushed metal; the face is smooth when turned off. The body is made from aluminium, sand-blasted and anodised black with polished details . The strap can be fabric, leather or synthetic, and the clasp can be locked, and opened using one hand.

This rugged unisex concept is aimed at hikers, runners, sailors and others who enjoy the outdoors or who appreciate solid engineering as well as avant-garde design. The time-telling solution is peculiar enough to catch people’s eyes, and the choice of display mode ensures anyone can learn to read it.

Rating: 3.4/5
Trio watch design puts time-telling into gear., 3.4 out of 5 based on 81 ratings

Tags: , , , , , , ,

28 Responses to “Trio watch design puts time-telling into gear.”

Im struggling with the time telling method, but I think it looks fantastic and would learn eventually! 5 stars just for the looks and yes sir!

2. avatar Ryan says:

This would appeal to those Mazda RX7 & RX8 drivers. Looks like a Wankel rotor. Classy design, and very unique.

• avatar Brian says:

This is exactly why it caught my eye.

• avatar Anders S says:

Funny you should say that, the same thought crossed my mind when I was sketching it…=)
      Thanks for the comment!

• avatar Pablo says:

I really like the look of this, its difficult to read at first but you soon get used to it.
      The Wankle engine is a good inspiration!
      I have submitted a design that takes inspiration from the rotary engine rotor, looks nothing like this tho. Hopefully it will find its way onto the blog soon.

Welcome back Anders! There is so much to tell, I must do it that way ->

+ Minimalistic scale time reading? Yes please.
    + in a favorite color? Mhhhh gimme!
    + The belt strap with the clip is very nice. Has a retro charme, like the scale already has.
    + The mode with the moving 12h position is interesting.

- It took a while to understand the times on the example images. Let me summarize:

Mode 1, 03:42:57 Has the seconds like on a normal watch (00 it on top) and the 00 of the minutes and the 12 of the hours are where the second hand is. So they are continuously turning. Mode 2 19:58:13 seems to be the same.

Mode 1, 10:06:27 has the 00 of minutes and seconds in the conncecting thingy of the three circles. The 12 for the hours is also there. Mode 2, 03:42:57 is aligned normally, with 00 minutes and seconds and 12 hours on top.

So the time reading has an interesting twist, but is a tad inconvenient. Even the traditional ones, thanks to missing indicators – the scales also turn… But I was willing to get to used to it and would be if the watch were available.

+ The materials look appealing to me.
    +/- Instead of the backside projection through the brushed metallic layer, I would suggest always activated colored LCD (like on the 3D unlimited). That would be awesome!

All that said, I wish you good luck with this. 5*/YES

• avatar Anders S says:

Thanks Sam, glad you like it, on the whole…=)
      Yep, looks like you’ve managed to decipher my explanation!
      As for the relative time indication, yeah, I knew it’d be a bit of a tough sell when I came up with it, but I thought it was a bit too interesting not to try it out… And now I have my answer…=)

4. avatar Anna Lorraine surio says:

Classy, coolest and most authentic design I have ever seen in Tokyo flash watches… ^_^

5. avatar Cory says:

Great looking design, Anders! Both time telling methods are complementary to the watch’s overall esthetic.

6. avatar Heather says:

it’s not my style, and i find it unnecessarily difficult to read – especially the one with 3 dials in mode 2….boggles the mind…i definitely prefer mode 1, whether it’s with one dial or three – they are more readable.
    the drawings are nice, and it’s good to have a choice of colors. i think the clasp is kinda cool and different.
    it’s a “no” from me. creative, but too much thinking for me, and i’m not really getting the unisex vibe…seems kinda masculine.

• avatar Anders S says:

Yes, I see what you mean. I was going for a certain level of boggle (The Fabled TF-Zone, as I think I shall call it from now on), but I apparently overshot the mark a bit…=)
      I decided to include Mode 1 as a result, since I felt it needed an easier alternative.
      You’re right again, I could have varied the materials a bit more for a wider appeal… Ah well, back to the drawing board! =)

7. avatar logan says:

I like the geometry. Curious how this would look as an LCD.

• avatar Anders S says:

Interesting point, I may have to sketch something out for myself… It’d have to look quite different to work as a rotating display, and very different to work as a non-rotating one… Hmmm…=)

8. avatar Firdaus on the go says:

This concept can be developed to be more eye and brain friendly. Design wise, not my cup of tea but I think its quite **** for **** individuals.

• avatar Anders S says:

Yes, fair point… As I mention above it did turn out a bit more neuron-bothering than I’d hoped…=7

9. avatar Alain says:

An original design, a sophisticated elegant, I’m in love. :-) )

• avatar Anders S says:

Glad you like it! Let’s hope TF makes it so you can have of your very own… So far though she’s mine, all mine…=)

10. avatar PurpleTriforce says:

I don’t really understand the three circle design, is it just like one analog watch split into three, or did you use some sort of voodoo time magic to make extra complex? If I can get this sorted out, it’s a 5/5 “YES” from me!

This design one of the best I have seen on TokyoFlash, it’s just kind of hard to figure out the tri-clock design…

• avatar Anders S says:

The three dials are basically a split analog face (one dial for hours, one for minutes and one for seconds). The trick is that the ’12′ positions aren’t positioned traditionally; instead they’re all pointing to the center of the watch face.

‘Voodoo time magic’…=) Hmmm, Interesting idea…=)

Thanks very much for the comment (and the flattery), I hope I’ve made it a bit clearer…

I have to say that I think 3.4 is very low for this entry!

• avatar Anders S says:

Thanks Pete, I appreciate the support. However, 3.5 is actually pretty much what I expected to get out of this concept. Judging from past experience and other entries, it seems to be on par with the preferences of the readers/voters (who seem, generally, to rate minimalist digital designs higher. Nothing wrong with that, just an observation). I tend toward the mechanical a bit more, which tends to rate a little bit lower. I’ll keep trying to come up with fresh ideas and eventually I should stumble across something that absolutely everyone thinks is the dog’s whatsits. As usual, I have some faith in the design I’m working on right now. =)
      Time will tell.

• avatar Pete says:

I still think 3.4 is low for this stylish design, but it is a subjective matter! Hopefully TF will see the potential! Best of luck!

12. avatar SoCalSteve says:

A little repeat info here. Obviously, the design you have here, as agreed by virtually everyone is fantastic.

The single circle is a bit hectic me thinks. the triple circles are great though. they are easy to read and i instantly understood the time. it’ll obviously take the user a little while to become proficient, but this is a great watch.

id be excited to see this made.

• avatar Anders S says:

Thanks for the comment and the support! I’m not sure I’d agree with you 100% on ‘virtually everyone’ though, but I’m glad for anyone and everyone who’d describe it as fantastic…=)
      Also, nice to hear someone finds it easy to read! =)