Digitz watch signals the time with hand gestures.

Design submitted by Peter from the UK.

Peter says: Somebody asked me the time the other day across a busy office and I found myself gesturing the time across the office with my hands rather than having to shout. I then thought this is a pretty universal method of communicating numbers and would suit an LCD display, “Digitz” was born.

The time is told by 4-6 hand shaped icons, the top 2or3 hands display the hours and the bottom 2or3 hands display the minutes (this would work easily well for the date).

A closed hand for example = 0, a thumb =1 a finger and thumb=2 etc.

I think this design is fun and would probably suit young people and people who like products that don’t take themselves too seriously. This design might also be helpful for teaching children numbers and time telling or people who have numeral dyslexia.

The handy looking display and bright colours set this design from others.

The simple Icons lend themselves to traditional LCD but look interesting without any unnecessary details, giving the design an air of viability.

Rating: 4.1/5
Digitz watch signals the time with hand gestures., 4.1 out of 5 based on 67 ratings

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

40 Responses to “Digitz watch signals the time with hand gestures.”

1. avatar Cris · Gato says:

It would be better if it used the numbers from American Sign language.

• avatar Pete says:

Hi Chris, the only reason I used a standard hand image through out was for simplicity, less number of blocks the easier and cheaper the LCD display etc. If the sign language gestures can be incorporated I’m all for it. Would be great to have a variety of time telling modes. Cheers for the feedback! :D

It’s good that you are not using individual fingers to represent the numbers otherwise you may have had issues with 3:33:33. :) Great idea and 5y from me!

• avatar Pete says:

Hehe I see where you are going with that! Maybe there could be a secret animation for those moments when you want to “stick it to the man” cheers for the comment and vote DZ! :D

3. avatar Firdaus says:

Really interesting, and unique with being simple. You could make the signs numbers optional. I like to see two with peace sign. Full support for this idea!

• avatar Pete says:

Hi Fir, cheers for liking! Yeah if it could be done the extra sign mode would be cool! There are plenty of options here for tweaking. For example I have shown the same hand thru out, there could be left and right hands. I used loses hands for zero but could be an empty space etc. maybe other gestures could be incorporated to help show the wearers mood! ;) cheers for the positive comment and vote Fir! :D

Cheers TF for adding this design to the blog! :D

I’m surprised they aren’t alien hands! :D Anyway, it’s fun and simple. Well done Pete. I gave you 5Y earlier. :)

• avatar Pete says:

Hehe Yeah probably should have done an ET special edition lol
      We will just have to put up with terrestrial bunches of sausages for the time being! lol
      Cheers for the comment and the vote Mushy! :D

6. avatar Laszlo says:

Not my cup of tea. Excellent render as usual.
    4*/N

7. avatar Anders S says:

Good to see a really fresh idea there Pete! Looks very makeable too. Simple and effective LCD layout, maybe I’ve got something to learn there…=) I’m liking the stainless/cyan combo, works very well.

Would be interesting if different signs were possible (Vulcan salute, anyone?), but you might want to be careful; the peace sign is easily confused with the old two-fingered salute, after all…=)

Top work!

• avatar Pete says:

Hey Anders, When I first started drawing this up I was worried it had already been done, but didnt find any examples. Maybe some see it as being a little obvious or cheesy. Either way I plowed on with it and here we are. Yeah other guestures would be cool (if done the right way) We wouldnt want an age rating putting on the box lol
      Cheers for the great feedback and the vote Anders! :D

• avatar Anders S says:

Well, nothing wrong with a bit of cheese, is there? =)

Right on; get stuff done and see how it goes, not much point in censoring yourself too early.

Yes, gestures might be a bit of a dodgy area culturally, too (disembodied limbs for example)… But I’m sure TFs customers are open-minded and cosmopolitan enough. =)

Pete, it’s a great idea! Simple and understandable in all languages​​.
    I wish the steel version and blue lines.
    5 * and Yes, very good idea.

I do not understand the low notes, attributed to this project?

So cool, Peter makes digits! And this time literal is great for me. For the double handed numbers I would’ve used a left and a right hand and for the 1 maybe the forefinger. So nothing serious :) The glowy lines are a nice gimmick but not really connected to the basic idea right? That idea is so cheesy but executed so stylishly, I would really want to get me a cyan one. Oh Anders had a cool idea about the signs. lml (when you’re at a concert) and f*ck you (when morning alarm rings) and stahp (both, mirrored hands opened, not sure when to show that) and maybe some sign language letters can be done. Oh yes. 5*/YES/thanks TF for adding this to the blog!

• avatar Pete says:

Cheers for the great feedback Sam, much is possible with this concept. The glowy lines arent a significant detail, just trying to make it grab peoples attention I guess. Other gestures would be cool for various times of day like you suggest. The mirrored hands is also a sensible suggestion. Also which finger is highlighted should only be a programming thing so plenty of options there. Cheers for the positive comment and vote! :D

10. avatar Sarah PK says:

Wow, epic watch. Want want want want want!!!!
    5/y!

11. avatar xian says:

This is a great concept, Pete! Maybe ‘hang ten’ symbol for 10am/pm. LOL @ Sam’s FU comment! 5*/yes

• avatar Pete says:

I’m glad you likey Xian! Yeah there are many possibilities for different gestures, cheers for the suggestion! I imagine Sam’s watch would be very animated! I’m just glad no-one suggested a gesture for special alone time! lol
      Cheers for the comment and vote! :D

12. avatar Krautesh Vakir says:

Great concept (loling over petes and anders last comments there) tis but a 5/Y from I

13. avatar Andrew Joy says:

Yet another fantastic concept Pete unlike anything I seen or been published before. Well Done.

14. avatar Clarence Goode says:

Very unique!

15. avatar Jose says:

Searching and finding originality.
    I think an ideal clock for a basketball referee (is a joke).
    Good job as usual.
    Good luck Sir. :)

Not my cup of tea, but not an horrible idea.

This one ends soon so just wanna say a quick thank you to every who took the time to vote, comment and share on this post and thanks to TF for adding it here!
    Cheers!