Mesh watch inspired by classic sci-fi

Design submitted by Peter from the UK.

Peter says: This is “Mesh” a back to basics disc type analogue watch.

The inspiration for this concept is the old “mysteron” UFOs from the “Captain Scarlett” animated tv show from yesteryear. The UFO spun as it flew and had a metallic wire frame look to it which really caught the light.  I have tried to get a similar feel without being too literal.

The time is told by three analogue discs powered by a traditional analogue movement. The three discs have a semi-translucent coloured arc on them in RGB. The leading edge of the arcs display the time. The largest disc displays the hours, the medium the minutes and the smallest displays the seconds. The display is covered by a glass lens underneath the mesh grille. The glass could be on the outside of the grille if this was preferable. I have done it this way as it looks more dynamic and tactile.

The brightly coloured arcs shining thru the wire grille gives the watch a unique kinda jewellery like look. When looked at from different angles the grille gives off interesting patterns and an almost 3D effect. This will hopefully give the watch a uni-sex appeal.

The combination of analogue disc time telling glowing thru a retro wire case makes design and more importantly its wearer stand out from others.

Rating: 3.7/5
Mesh watch inspired by classic sci-fi, 3.7 out of 5 based on 60 ratings

Tags: , , , , , , ,

42 Responses to “Mesh watch inspired by classic sci-fi”

1. avatar Gordon says:

This ones cool, perhaps a clear ribbed plastic lens would be sturdier and have similar appearance, just a thought for production.5*

• avatar Pete says:

Hi Gordon, any suggestions that help this design be realised are very welcome. Yeah you could make the mesh/grille part of the lens if that helped from a production perspective. Cheers for the feedback and the vote! :D

2. avatar Heather says:

the black with black is kickass. :)

Pete, I used to love Captain Scarlet as kid. 5Y from me. :)

Perfect for these hot summer days! (Looks like a fan!!) 5y

• avatar Pete says:

Thanks DZ, now I just need to design a watch that looks like an ice cold beer and we’re set up for the summer! :D cheers for the support and the vote! :D

Thanks Toky for adding this design to the blog! :D

Hi Pete, this is a beautiful watch, what imagination!
    Now, is it feasible in production?
    5 * / Yes, I’m impressed.

• avatar Pete says:

Hey Patrick, cheers for the vote! Regarding the feasibility, its only really the mesh/grille aspect that I am unsure about. Microphones, speakers, and some computers sometimes have fine mesh type covers over parts so there must be ways and means. Fingers crossed its possible x^^x

• avatar Patrick says:

I had not thought of, but you’re right Pete! ago meshes for devices for sound, such as microphones …
        Good luck Pete!

7. avatar Anders S says:

Simple, stylish, with its very own flavour… Not much to fault, really! With the possible exception of ease of production, but where’s the fun in that? =)

8. avatar Jose says:

My support for this idea
    Great job as usual. Good luck Pete
    5/Y_ :)

9. avatar Firdaus says:

Toooooooooo sooooooooo paaaaaaaaa design!
    Maximum pseudo oriental-retro-punk style!

10. avatar xian says:

Hi, Peter!

Beautiful renderings. I like the semi-circle digits!

Great thing :D So nice and simple design. I luv the grill and the subtle steampunk flair it gives. RGB rocks anytime hehe. Every strap variant looks good and my favorite is the leather one. Would definitely get this one. 5*/PLEASE

• avatar Pete says:

Thanks a lot Sam, Im glad you likey! Yeah a little vintage is nice sometimes. Would make a nice evening watch I think. Cheers for the support and the vote! :D

12. avatar Brandon says:

This is quite the unique deisgn! I like it! I have one question though, not really about the watch.. how do you design your ideas on computer? I’ve been wondering for weeks and I cant find anything useful! 5stars for this BTW

• avatar Pete says:

Hi Brandon, yeah I mostly work on the computer using “solid works” cad programe. Sometimes I will do some hand drawn sketches first to figure out the shapes or display details etc. if you would like get into cad “sketch up” seems to be a popular free software. Cheers for the interest and the vote

• avatar Pete says:

I should mention that cad skills are not nesesary for submissions, sketches, photoshop images and even written descriptions are accepted. As long as you can describe your ideas in an easy to understand way.

I wonder what happened here, last time I looked it was on 4.1 now its 3.7! If only there was a term for this kinda slump in score?!

14. avatar Flash banner says:

Great design i see thank you so much for sharing this with us.

I like the overall look. I have two concern : 1 ) is if cloth can get caught in the mesh. 2 ) the color visibility.

I would buy the black.

• avatar Pete says:

The intention is that the mesh could be either above or below the glass, if it were below then there would be no issue with catching clothes etc. If it were above the glass it would be tight against it or maybe moulded into it so there wouldnt be big enough gaps to snag materials. Regarding the visibility im sure that the material the discs are made of could be much more vivid than I am able to make in my cad program. They would certaily be more vivid with the backlight on. Im sure this would not be an issue if it was developed further anyway. Cheers for the feedback Makko! :D

• avatar Makkovik says:

For the mesh : The best, visualy, would be to be on top of the glass & get it moulded into it. ( if it was under it would loose it’s charm )

& I meant the number of wire. ( Also, I didn’t realized that some had backlight on. This would certainly be better )

Time runs out very soon for this one so just wanna say a big thanks to everyone who voted, commented and shared this design. A big ta very much to TF for adding it to the blog!

Cheers guys and gals! :D