Digitile watch merges texture and display

Design Submitted by Devindh from the UK

Devindh says: I wanted to design a watch that had an emphasis on texture as well as displaying time. I decided that the angular pattern of digital displays would provide a good way to combine both of these things.

The entire face of the watch is covered with a raised pattern of repeating digits. In passive mode the watch appears fully black and the texture is the focus. When the time button is pressed, 4 OLED displays show the time in 24 hr clock format. The numbers will usually interlink creating a ‘joined’ time pattern.

This watch is aimed at people who enjoy expressing themselves with colour. It is intended that the straps be easily interchangeable, so that the wearer can mix and match according to their own taste.

The use of texture as a primary focus should help this watch to stand out.

Rating: 3.0/5
Digitile watch merges texture and display, 3.0 out of 5 based on 53 ratings

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to “Digitile watch merges texture and display”

1. avatar Gordon says:

this is great 5* yes all the way

2. avatar Gordon says:

instant hit, i love this watch

I agree with Gordon. It hits instantly cause it’s so simple! What a cool idea. I like the textured buckle and how the strap color is repeated for the numbers.

• avatar Samukun says:

Oh I forgot,

welcome back Devindh!!

• avatar Colored circle says:

Thanks Sam:)
        Haven’t really been anywhere, just busy (like everybody). I know I don’t really offer my comments on people’s work, but that’s what guys like you are for:) I just vote. Anyway, thanks for liking the piece. I’m sure there is much more in the pipeline from you and I look forward to seeing it.

4. avatar Firdaus says:

Simple. Love the idea. Would be better with steel strap though. 5*, yes.

• avatar Colored circle says:

Hey Firdaus, thanks.
      I had thought about showing a version of the watch on a bracelet, but I decided to stick with a simpler resin/rubber compound strap because I didn’t want any additional texture ‘competing’ with the texture of the main watch face and ‘distracting’ attention away from the display. I’m sure it’s possible though, it would just take me some time to figure out the best way of designing it. Like Sam, I’m sure you have plenty of ideas still to show and I look forward to seeing them.

5. avatar Husky says:

This is great i love the look of the face and the colours are awesome.

• avatar Colored circle says:

Hi Husky, thanks. I often get criticised for not showing enough colour variations of my designs so I tried to remedy that with this submission. I’m glad you like them:)

Devindh proposes a project interesting and amusing.
    5 * / Yes!

I like the idea, I think it would work better on a bracelet style watch where the pattern would be more constant an the display would be more of a mistery, especially if it was off the majority of the time.
    Good work! 5 stars and Yes Sir :)

• avatar Colored circle says:

Hey Pete. I’m glad you like the piece. Take a look at the response I gave to Firdaus above for my reasoning behind choosing a plain strap. I know that you will have a lot more concepts to show here, and I look forward to seeing them. Thanks.

8. avatar Gordon says:

Sorry this watch is getting little attention. It shot right up in my top 10 list. Before its time perhaps

Last day for this entry Devindh! Best of Luck! :)

Cool name, good concept, 3.0 means it has potential… it has! Good luck!