Connected watch design merges lines to tell time

Design submitted by Ignacio  from Spain.

Ignacio  says: Curiously, I had a pencil which projected three shadows. That inspired me for a design that, after modification, resulted in this design (which is quite different, the original design consisting of circles).

I made simple images but I hope they can convey the idea.

To read the time on this design, we need to look in the 5 areas where lines connect:

* The 1st shows the hours from 1 to 12.
* The 2nd and 3rd shows the minutes, 2nd for the tens (10 to 50) and 3rd for single minutes (1 to 9).
* The 4th and 5th shows the seconds just as the minutes, 4th for the tens and the 5th for simple minutes.

It has 4 buttons:

* One to turn the greatest light.
* Three normal, after hold for two seconds, you can change the hours, minutes or seconds.

It will appeal to everyone who likes the stylish, simple yet complicated.

Rating: 3.8/5
Connected watch design merges lines to tell time , 3.8 out of 5 based on 155 ratings

Tags: , , , , ,

18 Responses to “Connected watch design merges lines to tell time”

1. avatar Tokyoflash Japan Product Design Studio says:

Nice job Ignacio!
    It occurs to us that there are several possibilities for this display to show the time in different ways. There could be a number in the gap, or there could be 3 gaps to mean 3 o’clock.
    It could also work with various technologies. LED, LCD, e-paper. Also lots of room to experiment with colours.
    It’s good to have all these options possible.

• avatar Heather says:

I think a number in the gap would detract from the mystery – if you’re showing the numbers, what do you need the rest of the display for??

• avatar Pete says:

Hi TF, its nice to see a comment from you.
      You have been quite quiet recently (we know you are very busy), your comments have been missed!
      Keep up the good work! :)

• avatar Ignatius Reillius says:

First, thank you very much to post my design (my name is Ignacio but my nickname is this). I was beginning to think you don’t like my ideas. And it’s very encouraging to see that someone likes your ideas, and even more if is yours the comment! :D

I would like to say that the first design was circular, http://www.imgjoe.com/x/initial.png but I think this design is more readable. Maybe you think this one is better, I don’t know, it’s just a curiosity (as a contribution).

About the technology, I had in mind a simpler idea. I was thinking with a white stripe tapes, and revolve. I don’t know if I’m explaining well, but the idea (the mechanism) is the same as in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az1SqX3Bqdc&list=FL8FkYLy_oumJpfRAowdzP5Q&index=54&feature=plpp_video
      But it’s you who make it true, so as you better believe, I leave that decision in your hands. :)

Thanks again for considering the design and please forgive my english. :S

2. avatar Heather says:

I like it. Very creative…it’s 12-5-9-5-9 with a negative twist (spaces, not lines)…interesting. I like how precise it is, the ever-changing seconds will be neat to see. Super-easy to read with little counting. It should definitely be always on, so I’d go with LCD. I’m not sure if e-paper can refresh every second??

It’s not a very feminine look, but then again, not all watches have to be appropriate for everyone. 5* for the time-reading method.

• avatar Ignatius Reillius says:

Actually, it’s 11-5-9-5-9, you never will see 12 hours. Design failure. :(
      Tokyoflash, can I send you a renders edited to change these by these other?

And thanks fot your comment!

3. avatar Heather says:

I think the low rating is due to the aesthetics of the given display, but this can be easily adjusted. I think it’s more important to vote/comment on the time-telling method. Although this is not my design, I made an example of what I think may be a more aestetically pleasing look for the same time-telling idea: http://www.proudnerd.com/connected_black_red.jpg

Good luck, Ignacio!

• avatar Ignatius Reillius says:

Thanks.
      About your idea, I think your design make it lose the aesthetics of seem to be connected, hence its name. Personally, ok? Just I like more my display that yours. ;)
      I submitted a design that proposes an idea, it seems that TF liked, and I think if they believe a need to improve their appearance, do so.

Hi Ignacio, I have not seen your name on the blog before, is this your first entry?
    I like the idea behind this watch and agree with TF that there is many possibilities. The time reading method is simple and quick to understand, I don’t think it needs numbers.
    My main issue with the current examples is that it looks a bit busy, could the lines that make up the time be thinner or paler so they are less bold? Also I like the ideas of the markers being circles, would look a bit like the London underground map, which would fit nicely with a couple of existing TF watches. 5 stars and yes for the principle.
    best of luck! :)

5. avatar SergejHOHLOV18 says:

недорогая реклама на транспорте только тут

6. avatar Ipeuve says:

Hi Ignatius, great design! I looked it up very very misterious until I read your examples. Once I understood, it was easy to read the time. It seems like razor blades!. Now in spanish: Pasha Ignacio? Me ha gustado, parecen hojas de afeitar. Por cierto, ¿la zona de los segundos estará cambiando mientras se ilumina o se muestran fijos? Saludos, y ¡mucha suerte!.

• avatar Ignatius Reillius says:

Como siempre, hasta que no se sabe el código es indescifrable, pero es mu sencillo.
      Me ha alegrado mucho verte comentar aquí directamente :D
      Sobre la visualización, estaría mu bien que estuviera siempre encendido, aunque eso ya se lo dejo a TokyoFlash, que son los que saben. Muchas gracias!

As always, if you don’t know the code is unreadable, but this it’s very simple.
      I was glad to see you comment here directly: D
      About the display would be very well that was always on, though that I leave that to TokyoFlash, who are those who know. Thank you very much!

7. avatar Firdaus says:

Very original. Love the idea. However, I like to see this concept design with other colour variations.

—————————————–
    Tokyoflash Ni multicolour LED
    Sensai Black
    Twelve 5-9 Q version black
    Shinshoku / Corrosion
    Kisai RPM Acetate granite
    Kisai Kaidoku black+blue LCD
    Kisai Seven white LED

• avatar Ignatius Reillius says:

Thanks for your comment, Firdaus! :D
      I should make them and send them to TK in the next days, although I think the most important thing is the idea.
      Thanks again! :)

Graphically great! Clever, simple and good looking time reading system! Can come in e-paper or LCD so you have enough options. I also like the bracelet-style. Good luck for this one Ignacio!

9. avatar AcanthaceousShrike says:

it’s too much zebra for me. I can’t wear it, sorry. the time reading is clever and simple tho ***/:’(