Easy To Read E-Ink Watch Design in Anodised Aluminium

Design submitted by Laszlo from Hungary.

A clever watch design from Laszlo here which uses e-ink technology to display the time and date. This watch design is very simple to read as you can see from the images below. The time is shown digitally using shapes that are very close to real numbers. It would certainly be easy to get the hang of quite quickly.

The watch has been designed with e-ink technology in mind. E-ink is a kind of electronic paper and is commonly used in e-readers such as the Amazon Kindle. It offers a clear, crisp and detailed effect.

For the watch case and strap, Laszlo feels anodised aluminium would be a perfect material. Aluminium is Extremely lightweight design and an anodised finish would increases corrosion resistance and wear resistance. Anodised aluminium surfaces can in some cases be dyed allowing for the color variations shown in the images below.

What do you think about Laszlo’s latest concept watch idea? If you’d like to see this concept become reality, vote and share with your friends. Feel free to offer your feedback in the comments section below.

ink_watch_design_in_anodised_aluminium_modifiedink_watch_design_in_anodised_aluminium_animation

Rating: 4.6/5
Easy To Read E-Ink Watch Design in Anodised Aluminium , 4.6 out of 5 based on 286 ratings

Tags: , , , , , ,

23 Responses to “Easy To Read E-Ink Watch Design in Anodised Aluminium”

1. avatar akicam says:

This watch will be perfect for me, because easy to read. My favourite is the silver one. Can I see a moving version?

2. avatar Peter Fletcher says:

Very Striking Lazlo!!!

3. avatar Keiron says:

Love this watch, the abstract font reminds me of the computer game Wipeout :)

4. avatar Tzu says:

I really like this watch, a clear 5star concept. The silver one is my favourit! But I would prefer a leatherstrap in the same coulor as the digits (same black as the “numbers”)

Flat, 45° angles, cryptic at first, easy finally, E-paper – all good elements I like. I think, I would have used 3×2 symbols with a two digit day (su, mo, tu, we, th, fr, sa). But it’s cool. The font reminded me of the one used in Star Wars :) Besides of E-paper, I can see this watch in the style of the newly released 3D Unlimited – using color LCD. For all who like to know what kantanna means, it’s japanese for simple, easy, brief. True :D Like it.

6. avatar akicam says:

Yo , I see the moving version, sorry. That’ great!

7. avatar Tokyoflash Japan Product Design Studio says:

Hi Laszlo

Sorry for not posting very much, as you probably already know we are very busy and understaffed. Lots on the go and trying to make sense of all the data on the blog and choose wisely as the time involved to make the designs is quite some. E-paper has 2 problems. One is big MOQ and the other is the outlook is not that clean. Kind of newspaper like. We are looking into various suppliers to see what they have come up with as improvements have made it better. The battery is perhaps the biggest obstacle for more options. Always when you try to fit it into a watch it becomes a big issue, and the engineers say “can’t do” then we ask why, then try to find solutions. Anything can be done if you through enough money at it but we are still a small humble company. ;) And want to keep it that way.

Regarding the design I really like the outlook of this. Has a very clean and unique look to it. My only concern is the numbers can be a bit confusing. Many people complain if there is any difficulty understanding the time, so we are focussing on keeping it clean and easy to read. Perhaps connecting the lines may make it easier. The 1,5,6,7 look the hardest. For me personally It’s fine as it is but after considering all the feedback from our customers I would say this would be an issue for many. As many people vote a low rating but do not comment this would be one of the reasons, but on the other side the outlook is awesome!

8. avatar Jun Fan Lee says:

I love this watch, maybe a backlight I would prefer more than white, but the way the time is told is super cool, its like a sci fi language writing, I would definately buy this if the numbers are easier t oread like tokyoflash said! :D

9. avatar onisan says:

Awesome!
    The numbers system you have is very cool.
    1 & 7 are a little bit confusing to see, but the rest are easy. Maybe you could just tweak those numbers just a bit like you did with R in FRI.

10. avatar Erdillian says: