Silicon Watch Design

Design submitted by Anders from Sweden.

This idea comes from the electronics that make up a digital watch, and how they’re usually hidden from view.  This watch concept takes the opposite route and displays its components through a tinted silicon armband.  The sealed design makes it necessary to charge the batteries through induction, using a wire coil.

This watch has several connotations, alluding to the quartz (silica) used in the circuits, and the silicon body.  There are four LCD-style screens showing time, date, year, and additional functions (e.g. altitude/depth, possibly recorded through the flexible silicon).  Time is shown vertically across the displays, and MP3/bluetooth information is displayed horizontally.

The transparency of the whole design is the main feature of this watch, with additional selling points, such as waterproofed casing, bluetooth functionality, depth/altitude measuring functions, integrated MP3 player, or GPS functionality.

Rating: 3.8/5
Silicon Watch Design, 3.8 out of 5 based on 89 ratings

Tags: ,

15 Responses to “Silicon Watch Design”

O M G :O

Only one thing: black for me. I’d buy it in an instant. Great job! Futuristic, good looking, nice features… just wow.

• avatar Anders S says:

Thanks! I was a bit unsure wether this would be successful, but it’s certainly off to a good start…=)

2. avatar Gabriel Balas-Baconschi says:

me too. Excellent job. Very smart design, I love aditional features !

• avatar Anders S says:

Thanks for the comment!
      yes, I think it’s a waste not to (at least) throw an mp3 player in there… Perhaps it’s a result of having worked with mobile phones…=)

3. avatar Avatara says:

This looks really appealing. I like the see through idea but i’m not sure how **** / interesting it would be in reality…

@ Samukun, if it was black, you wouldn’t be able to see through it I don’t think…

• avatar Anders S says:

Yes, good point. I suspect that the design of the electronics would have to be ‘jazzed up’ a bit, to make it look flashier (you could always add things that don’t really do anything but look cool)…=)

About a black version, it’d probably be more like gray, since it still has to be transparent… One solution if yuo want a really deep colour might be to have two layers of silicon, with the inner one heavily tinted and laying beneath the displays to avoid obscuring them…

• avatar Samukun says:

Oh “black” doesn’t mean opaque, just darker. I saw this watch as white with 90% tranparency. I now see it is meant fully transparent. Now I like it even more :)

4. avatar Aphosno says:

Wow an x-ray watch. Very cool. It would go in many colors. I bet even girls would wear a red version of that. Very cool idea!

5. avatar Skinbyte says:

I am not sure about the bracelet being one piece. No adjustment is kind of a no go for me personally. Some people have very small wrists and some have very large.

6. avatar Eternity says:

wow i love this one its so cool to have it transparent! If there was some other colours it would be even better!

7. avatar cortjezter says:

i think the name should be ‘jellyfish’ :D

8. avatar Ebu says:

This looks really cool! But I am not sure about visibility of time on the shiny sun..

9. avatar DieselDragon says:

As a fan of the concept of bringing technology “out into the open”, I really like the idea of having all of the hardware on display! Having the watch charged via induction is a great idea, too…No connections that can be broken, or would allow accidental water ingress! :-)

10. avatar Merinoredhead says:

The concept is very interesting. I love analog watches with the same idea. The silicon is a no go for me. I find it incredibly uncomfortable and reminds me of medical gloves. Perhaps some hard casing? That would also solve the issue of sizing.

11. avatar said says:

It’s definitely an interesting concept! It s just a shame on the picture it seems easier to see the electronic components on the bracelet than the actual time. Maybe a black display and strong bright color for the numbers?