Tri-Sector watch is a 3-sided alien timepiece.

Design submitted by Peter from the UK.

Peter says: In recent months I have had a bit of a thing for triangular watches, sporting 12/5/9 time telling formats. For some reason (in my eyes) these two things seem to go togther very nicely. So here is another version called “Tri-Sector”.

The time is told by three groups of LED blocks arranged on three facets of a triangular watch body. On the left hand facet a group of twelve LEDs displays the hours, the bottom facet has five LEDs for the ten minute groups and the right hand facet has nine LEDs for single minutes.

The single triangular LED in the centre of the watch shows am/pm.

The third, sixth, ninth and twelth LEDs where applicable could be brighter or a subtly different colour to speed up time telling. The arrangements of the illuminated LEDs telling the time could vary to keep things interesting or work in negative. The groups of LEDs would suite a date mode as well as funky animations.

I have also included an example of digits which could be displayed by this LED layout if a phased digital mode was used

This design has a bright and bold look which would suit a variety of finishes and colours which would help this design appeal to a wider audience. The well known time telling method should make it easy enough for the majority but retain an old-school feel for the TF hardcore.

The triangular form and bright and bold display combined with a variety of colour and finishes sets this design apart from others.

Rating: 3.6/5
Tri-Sector watch is a 3-sided alien timepiece., 3.6 out of 5 based on 56 ratings

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

30 Responses to “Tri-Sector watch is a 3-sided alien timepiece.”

1. avatar Tokyoflash Japan Product Design Studio says:

I am glad of your obsession with triangles Peter because I always enjoy seeing these tri-based designs.
    I love the simplicity of the time telling but presented in such an attractive, yet mysterious, looking watch.
    I don’t normally go for the black versions but on this occasion the classic black + red LED wins for me (with the two-tone red/white one a close 2nd)

• avatar Pete says:

Thanks a lot Toky, yeah this triangle thing is becoming a real problem! lol I see them everywhere. A physiologist would have a field day. I would say this is my last Tri-based design but I think is a couple more in my collection somewhere. Fingers crossed one tri-version makes it into real world. Cheers for posting and the feedback :D

• avatar Patrick says:

Hi Toky, there are more “progress reports” this year?

2. avatar Nev says:

Another great design, Pete.
    The different display for numbers 3, 6, 9 & 12 do more than just speed up time telling, they actually enable it for those of us with less than prefect eyesight! Your examples of this work well.
    I love the phased digits, but like to see the time in one go, so prefer the other options for time reading.
    As always, all the examples look great – when I have to choose, I would go for red or green on black.
    Good luck and 5*/Y

• avatar Pete says:

Thanks a lot Nev, I hadn’t thought about making the display easier to see for those without 20/20 but it’s a fair point. Anything that can make a display clearer is no bad thing. I would propose the phased digits as a time telling mode so the wearer has the choice. I’m glad you likey sir, cheers for the support! :D

3. avatar Lewis says:

My favourite from your extensive design collection Pete. i’d buy this watch.
    5Y

Hi Pete, I also like the triangles. That falls well!
    5*/Yes, it is really beautiful this watch!

I only have eyes for triangles! 5y

6. avatar Andrew Joy says:

Nice to see the excellent Tri-Sector published Pete. This triangular wristwatch stands out from other design because it has both binary 12-5-9/ phased digital modes. However I still prefer the previous six digital of tri 5/9 triangular wrist watch a little bit more than this. http://blog.tokyoflash.com/2014/04/tri59-led-watch-is-deceptively-simple-to-read/

• avatar Pete says:

As long as one triangluar design tugs at you heart strings thats all I can ask for, hopefully such geometry is destined for the real world! :D Cheers

7. avatar gordon says:

your a watch makin machine, nuff said. I likey this one!

8. avatar Justin says:

Nice design Pete…5Y not sure why but the purple one is my fav. It looks more alien!

9. avatar Olli says:

Love this watch and would definitely buy it. No really, I would! Tokyoflash, please build this thing!
    Kind of reminds me of Daft Punk, which is a good thing for me.
    And opposed to Tokyoflash, I usually always dig the black’n'red watches, but with this I prefer the turquoise-silver one. ;)

Cheers!

• avatar Pete says:

Thanks a lot Olli for dropping by and showing your support. Fingers crossed TF listen and you have the burden of choosing a colour combination :D

10. avatar xian says:

I too have realized that I dig cyan and red together. I like the last one as well, Pete–you are proving to have good color sensibility.

• avatar Pete says:

Thanks a lot Xian, I just do a selection of colour/material combinations in the hope that at least one sticks lol
      The law of randomness will prevail one day! Cheers for the support sir! :D

11. avatar Wilhelm says:

Have no idea how to read the time, but LOVE the looks! You’re a design genius Pete!

• avatar Pete says:

Hi Wilhelm, the time telling is classic 12/5/9. The hours on shown on the left, 10min blocks on the bottom and single mins on the right. Glad you like the looks, you can learn the time telling but it’s more difficult to learn to like the looks of something that doesn’t initially grab you. Cheers for the support sir! :D

Nice case Pete. I’d wish for matching straps sir. Some sort of segmented continuation instead of an independent, empty attachment. 12-5-9 spread on three sides of a triangle ist simple and you made it looking good. The Joker colors are nuts xD But we do learnd from Swatch or Nooka, that simple watches can come in crazy colors. Cool thing Pete. 5* (with a cool strap) /YEPP

• avatar Pete says:

I know what you mean, a segmented strap would have continued the theme through. If this concept gets another outing i’ll make sure to do a new strap with segment goodness :D

I love the overall look. Very futuristic/space looking. I like the light in the strap side. I like the 12-5-9 & his reading order. It could easily be modified to the 12-11-4 method & keep the same reading order. I don’t like the multiple phase digital version. I would buy.

• avatar Pete says:

Cheers for the feedback Makko! Yeah a 12/11/4 version would be as easy and work as well as this format. I would welcome either if this design was taken further. Cheers again! :D

This one ends tonight so all that’s left to do is thank TF for posting it here and everyone who voted, commented and shared. Cheers everyone!

Pete from the UK :D