Sentinel watch keeps a robotic eye on you

Design submitted by Peter from the UK.

Pater says: This design is inspired by the modern trend in car design for LED head lights.

These new lights are becoming far more futuristic, detailed and elaborate than the more traditional bulb and reflector type that they replace. Its this futuristic elaborate look that made me think of watch displays and how this could be incorporated.

“Sentinel” was the result.

This design tells the time in a very familiar 12/11/4 format in an analogue layout.

The front of the watch sports 12 ring LED lenses to display the hours, in the centre of the these rings are 11 small dot shaped lenses displaying the 5 min groups.

In the centre of the array is a fish-eye lens with ring around that for am/pm.

Above this are a further 4 ring lenses for the single minutes plus one single one for time/date mode.

The headlight inspiration and driver’s watch layout combined with LED lighting gives this watch a futuristic robot alien look. The watch is streamlined and slick so should appeal to techies and gamers.

The unusual futuristic look combines with cryptic looking but intuative LED display allows this design and it’s wearer stand out in the crowd.

Rating: 4.2/5
Sentinel watch keeps a robotic eye on you, 4.2 out of 5 based on 68 ratings

Tags: , , , , , , ,

27 Responses to “Sentinel watch keeps a robotic eye on you”

1. avatar Tokyoflash Japan Product Design Studio says:

Great science fiction design! The black/white one is very cool indeed.
    I am loving the shiny ‘storm trooper’ texture & bracelet style which stimulates my mind with thoughts on what this unusual device does.
    The ‘eye turret’ gives a really alien feel – is is just watching me or it it going to shoot?!?

As a kid I was fascinated by sci-fi gadgets seen in TV shows or movies, Blake’s 7, Space 1999, Logan’s Run – to own a gadget like that would have been super cool ~ now it could be possible…

• avatar Pete says:

Thanks for posting this concept on the blog and for the great comment!
      You mentioned some classic sci-fi there! I hope your hand crystal isn’t flashing yet? ;)
      It would be cool to have a little futuristic robot pet on your wrist, fingers crossed one days it’s possible :D

• avatar Pete says:

Hi Toky, a few people have mentioned not being able to comment because the sweet captcha thing isn’t working properly.

2. avatar simex says:

I like your design, I would like to wear a watch.

• avatar Pete says:

Cheers for the support simex! its allways great to see a comment by an unfamiler name. Fingers corssed you get the chance to wear this watch one day! :D

3. avatar gordon says:

very stylish and modern design, I suggest throwing a little carbon fiber at it as a racing theme, very cool just the same.

Hi Pete, great project once again.
    I have a suggestion to display the minutes of a color other than hours, for those which have the low sight? What do you think about it?
    5* and Yes, it is as that which that occurs with Pete.

5. avatar Nev says:

Looks great, as usual, Pete.
    Some might find it a challenge to read the 4 additional minutes as you would probably read the hours/5-minutes from the edge of the wrist and then have to twist to see the top. Minor inconvenience that is well worth pursuing, but some might not like it.
    I was having enough difficulty choosing from the original set of colours/styles, but the additional carbon fibre/dual colour LED version makes it even harder! I think I’d go for the new addition, but the green on black is a close second, with the rest only just behind. This must be one that TF follow through and produce, so I expect to make the final decision when I see the choices they provide.
    Good luck and 5*/Y.

• avatar Pete says:

Cheers for the feedback Nev, Im sure there are ways of making the single minutes more visible or moving them further forward etc. Umm choosing the colour combo would a mighty fine burden to have, fingers crossed that’s a decision we get to make in the future! Thanks again Nev! :D

6. avatar Andrew Joy says:

Nice to finally see The “Sentinel” on the blog, this a LED Analogue unlike anything else out there.
    Strange, futuristic, alien, certainly not a Concept for beginners but awesome never the less.

• avatar Pete says:

Yeah its taken a little while to hit the blog, hopefully it will be worth the wait. Cheers for the likey and the support! :D

Not sure what I think of this one…scratching head…

:D

Oh
    My
    Gods

The blacky whitey for me puhlease :) ~ Very nice concept, outstanding geometry, nice gatling gun display! 5*/YESH

• avatar Pete says:

Thanks a lot Sam, yeah the storm trooper colours seems to work well for this one. It does kind of have a futuristic gun turret look to it. Cheers for the support sir! :D

9. avatar vforvictorious says:

i would buy this.

add some sounds affect!

10. avatar JetHell_Infinity says:

Is it rude to ask when will you be selling these? I need to be the first one to buy it.

Your nickname should be Mr. Trask if you understand my reference

• avatar Pete says:

Hello JetHell, it’s certainly not rude to ask that million dollar question! I only wished I knew the answer :) only TF know if the question is a when or an if, and if its a when, when will it be! lol Crikey that’s a tongue twister. Regards the nickname, that reference is lost on me I’m afraid. I did google it and the most common result was a character in a tv show. So fingers crossed that’s a positive nickname ;) cheers for the comment and the support sir! :D

I like the hour/5min section. I don’t like having the single minute that far out.

The single minute could replace the current AM or PM divided in 4. The PM would either stay where it is, or, use the AM dot, or, use the small dot at 12 o’clock. The time/date indicator would use the extra light.

An example: Cut the current PM ring in 4. Place the PM in the center. Finish with the small dot off=time/on=date.

The 5 lights on top (that are currently used for +1 to +4 & time/date) could be always on. (when the time/date is being shown)

• avatar Pete says:

Cools suggestions Makko, I can understand you wanting the single minutes closer to the action. Putting them in the centre makes a lot of sense and wouldn’t have a negative impact on the looks. Making the old single minute lights decorative seems sensible. Cheers for liking and the epic feedback sir! :D

Time runs out for this concept very soon, so that’s left to do is thank TF for posting it here and everyone who took the time to vote, comment and share. Cheers everyone!

Pete from the UK :D