Constellation watch is the astronomers companion (update)

Design submitted by Delphine from France.

Delphine says: I was looking at a rotating sky map and I thought it would be great to have one small everywhere I go. Date and time are already on it so why not a watch? And this is how Constellation was born.

The first model (round) is an analog one. On the top there’s a small fixed disc with the 24 hours on it. Below there’s a larger disc with the sky map and the date, which turns anti-clockwise.

The second model (square) is based on the same principle but all on a screen.

For both, the hour indicated by the date is the Sun’s. The current time (Sun time +1 or 2) can be highlightened. The minutes are displayed on a screen in the middle. It’s maybe possible to combine both models.

There’s also a red backlight to read the map at night.

The watch is available in two options : North hemisphere or South hemisphere.

It’s not a very precise map or movement, which, I think, would be too expensive.

This watch is made for every people who are interested in  astronomy or just curious to know what’s upon their head or have head in the stars :) Plus it can look smart and classy.

I never saw a watch like this one, where it works exactly like a rotating sky map, without hands like classic analog watches.

UPDATE: Modified case & map design.

Rating: 3.4/5
Constellation watch is the astronomers companion (update), 3.4 out of 5 based on 20 ratings

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to “Constellation watch is the astronomers companion (update)”

1. avatar Tokyoflash Japan Product Design Studio says:

Thanks for sending in your idea Delphine!
    The case/strap design here is quite conservative for Tokyoflash, but the idea of a star map watch is certainly off-worldy enough to deserve attention. The imagery of the constellations is something that can always have appeal, day or night. The function behind it can come to life on those evenings when you get a good night sky to enjoy.
    Red light is a nice touch so not to disturb your night-vision ;-)

Hi Delphine, it a poetic nice idea, I hope that it is possible to manufacture it, with a reasonable cost?
    5 stars and Yes, good idea.

I like the idea behind this concept. I have a little trouble reading the hours on your examples but that is probably more of a reflection on me rather than the design. The red and blue is a little bold for me but that’s a subjective matter. I think with this concept you either have to go hi-tech looking or steampunk and have a really mechanical looking device. Loads of potential here, fingers crossed it can be done. Best of luck a and welcome to the blog! :D

4. avatar Delphine says:

Hi everyone!
    Thanks Toky for posting my second design!
    Thanks both Patrick and Pete for your comments. I will try to improve the design and do it more “futuristic”.

• avatar Pete says:

Sorry Delphine, I didn’t realise this was your second design on the blog, in that case welcome back to the blog ;)

5. avatar Nev says:

Hi Delphine – a good start on the blog. This idea is quite appealing, although, as with looking at the night sky itself, I find myself wanting to see more than is immediately visible, so would want that window to be as large as possible.
    I would also go for the black or white versions of those you show, but if they went for this I’m sure TF would select some appropriate colour combinations (maybe white or silver on dark blue would look good too or a futuristic metallic frame with black). As Pete suggested, a steampunk version would be good too.
    All in all, a lot of potential, so good luck and 5*.

• avatar Nev says:

Sorry, I forgot your guitar design – so not a newbie at all. All the best with your second design.

6. avatar Delphine says:

Thanks for the update Toky!
    So on this one I try to change the design. The map is just an image I took somewhere (I drew the first one).
    I made the window disc semi-transparent so we can see the whole map as Nev want :)
    I hope you enjoy it.

• avatar Pete says:

Nice update Delphine! looks very classy and much more formal in the more sober colours. You could imagine this at one of those high end Horological shin digs they like to have in Geneva :D

7. avatar Nev says: