Perimeter LCD watch with a digital hour hand

Design submitted by Peter from the UK.

Peter says: The idea for this design is a back to basics LED or LCD watch with a digital/analogue time telling method.

The time is told in an analogue format using digits to act as the marker in a similar way to “On Air” but in this case the digits live in a perimeter around the outside of the display.

Like “On Air” the minutes are told by digits, which also describe the hours by their position on the face. The gap between the two digits act as the marker for the hours.

The remaining ring of the display could be empty or animated in an arc like fashion. The parts of the arc could be used to display further information like seconds.

This design is very simple and intuitive and should appeal to people who like no-nonsense products.

This design stands out due to its simple and intuitive nature combined with a simple but bold look.

Rating: 3.6/5
Perimeter LCD watch with a digital hour hand, 3.6 out of 5 based on 30 ratings

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

25 Responses to “Perimeter LCD watch with a digital hour hand”

1. avatar Tokyoflash Japan Product Design Studio says:

Very nice work Peter. You make it impossible for me to pick a favourite, as all versions are equally attractive.

Is it possible to have 2 designs based on ‘On-Air’? On-Air is very unique, so its hard not to compare ~ with most other time methods at TF we are very familiar with them, so we don’t judge as closely.
    Anyway I think so, because despite the basic method being the same, the implementation & feeling is very different : minimal vs complex.

I very much like the arc to convey extra info & the idea of animations which all boosts the feeling of futuristic tech on your wrist.

• avatar Pete says:

Thanks for posting and the feedback Toky. I’m always nervous of submitting design with similar features or ethos to existing ones but I figure if it is too close it at worst won’t hit the blog, and if it does the blog will tell you if it’s too similar. So fingers crossed its well received. Yeah it would be cool of the remaining arc could also display info, it would justify the screen space and help separate it from on-air a little. Fingers crossed we get some good suggestions on what info to show there. Cheers :D

• avatar Nev says:

On Air will be retired soon, going by what was highlighted on the TF twitter site, so there would be no issue by the time the one gets produced :)

• avatar Pete says:

Im not on twitter so havent seen the feeds. Id be supprissed if On Air was retired as such. If the avaiblable versions sell out due to popularity I would expect new versions in different colours or finishes to become available.
        It will be interesting to see what happens :D

Great looking, funky watch! 5y

3. avatar Anders S says:

Good work Pete, it’s got a nice, simple look to it. I especially like the RGB display; it’s colourful without being too gaudy in my opinion…=)

That being said, I like it, but it doesn’t quite wow me. Not every design has to of course, and it is a solid bit of design, but I probably wouldn’t buy it for myself. Then again, I might change my mind when I see the real thing…=) Best of luck mate!

• avatar Pete says:

No worries Anders, I know you like the more adventurous stuff, this is on the more sober end of my spectrum.
      I opted for feasiblity over shock and awe for this one. If it did get realised Im sure TF could work enough magic into it to tempt open your purse strings! Cheers for the feedback sir! :D

• avatar Anders S says:

Well, we have to keep at least one eye on feasibility, I s’pose… At least, that’s what I keep trying to tell myself…=)

Pete always does a great job!
    5 * / Yes.

5. avatar Lewis says:

great job pete! love the black and yellow (personal favourite colour combo for me)
    5Y

• avatar Pete says:

Thanks a lot Lewis, yeah black and yellow does seem to work. If it works for wasps who are we to argue? lol
      Cheers for the vote sir! :D

• avatar Lewis says:

its simple enough imo, theres a fine line between cryptic and failing to describe to your friends how your new £80 watch works. it should only take a glance to read a watch. thats where the difficulty lies in design and i think this watch hits the mark.

6. avatar Pelly says:

Very nice designs there Pete, green is my fav. The RGB version reminds me of the old simon says memory game. Now that’s showing my age lol. Not sure if it something I would buy if I’m honest as it seems abit too basic for my liking, that’s only because it’s too easy to read. If there was a more cryptic mode then I may be swayed. Still…very good work and as always excellent renderings.

7. avatar Nev says:

Great minimalist watch, as it stands now. Personally, I wouldn’t want much added to it, or it may get too busy. Seconds may be useful, but most of my TF watches don’t have that, so definitely not essential.
    All the variants look great, but I would ultimately have to choose between black/green or black/yellow which grab me most.
    5*/Y, as usual.

• avatar Pete says:

Thanks a lot Nev, I would suggest that any additional info/display styles be a mode rather than default. Its always nice to have an element of choice. If seconds were the prefered extra info they could be shown in blocks or extra digits. Other info could be date or alarm etc. Or the extra space could be used by extending/stretching the digits like I did in the black and yellow examples. There is plenty of room for development. Cheers for the feedback and vote sir! :D

New more cryptic numbers now available on my fb page. Click the link below or on my yellow name:

Nice work Pete! I like the elongated numbers. I’ve used the same idea for a trick puzzle a while back. I gave you 5Y yesterday. Sorry, but I’m finding it hard to keep up with all your designs! :D

• avatar Pete says:

Hehe cheers Lloyd, you think you have trouble! lol They all blur into one for me!
      You’ll have to link me to your puzzle, would love to see it. :D

Time runs out for this one today, another one bites the dust!
    All thats left to do is thank TF for posting it here, and everyone who took the time to vote, comment and share!
    Cheers everyone!