MONO a minimal LCD/Analogue fusion

Design submitted by Peter from the UK.

Peter says: I was trying to think of a really simple and intuitive design with a sober look.

I came up with “mono” a back to basics, minimalistic LCD design based on a single hand style analogue format.

The time is told by a single hand style LCD marker. There are 12 positions for the marker as per the hour positions on an analogue clock face. Each of these 12 markers contains a smaller array of 12 segments that describe 5 min groups and a pm indicator. These segments are also arranged as per an analogue clock face. Inside of these segments are a further 4 for single minutes.

This design is very simple, clean and clutter free. It lends  itself to many colours and finishes so should allow it to appeal to a wide audience of ages, gender and ability.

The simple intuitive time telling combined with colour and material versatility allows this design to stand out from others.

Rating: 4.0/5
MONO a minimal LCD/Analogue fusion, 4.0 out of 5 based on 55 ratings

Tags: , , , , , , ,

25 Responses to “MONO a minimal LCD/Analogue fusion”

1. avatar Pelly says:

Great design there Pete! 5* and a “take my money” right there!

trying to decide wether or not id want the black strap/red face & red LED or black strap/blue LED….damn you and your efficiency for making multiple choices. ; )

2. avatar Pelly says:

Plus i think mono-colour E-paper would suit this design nicely.

• avatar Pete says:

Thanks for liking and thanks for commenting sir! E-paper would be cool but I think the layout of the display is that simple that LCD makes the most sense for this design. At least then it could be always on and frequently animated. Also the cost could be kept as minimal as possible. Regarding the colour combo choice, that’s one burden I’d be happy to landed with. The grey strap with blue display works for me. Cheers for the feedback and support Pelly! :D

Thanks a lot TF for adding this design to the blog! :D

Hi Pete, I see a flower, it reminds me of the psychedelic “Peace and Love” years.
    Very original!
    5 * / Yes.

• avatar Pete says:

hehe your showing your age now sir! Groovey baby! Yeah I did think in retrospect I should have done a version in negative where it shows all the “petals” other than the one telling the time. It should be an option. Cheers for the feedback and support sir! :D

5. avatar xian says:

I like it, Pete. Do I understand correctly that the LCD cells turn off during AM hours and on during PM?

• avatar Pete says:

Hi Xian, at the moment there is a hollow LCD block at the 12 O’clock position for highlighting pm. But a cool way of doing it would be positive (LCD block turn on to show time) for am, negative for pm (LCD blocks turn off to tell time) or vice versa. Cheers for the comment sir! :D

Although this sort of idea has been done on here before it does look nice Pete! 5Y I wish TF made poetic/creative type watches. To me, they’re always a bit robotic and one-dimensional, but I guess that’s what the majority of fans want. :( I would have liked it a little more if you’d incorporated seconds. :D You know, just so it looks alive. Good luck with this one.

• avatar Pete says:

I know what you mean Lloyd, there are few things that haven’t been done in some fashion before. Regards the seconds they could be added but my original thought was that the display could be always on and animated like my animation (maybe showing the time at set intervals unless a button was pressed to show the time) the display would always be active in that case too. Maybe the animation could display the seconds somehow? Cheers for the honest review and the support sir! :D

7. avatar Firdaus-kun says:

I have feeling that this design is Persian. I think this is a good addition to this blog. No comment on time telling. All fine. if possible, I wana order the complete white version.

Hmmmm…. why I suddenly imagine a beautiful Persian lady in silk dress posing with watch in front of ancient monument.

;-)

5*/Y

• avatar Pete says:

I like the way you see the concept Fir, sounds much more exotic from your description than its humble origins.
      Fingers crossed it gets made so that your vision can become the promotional imagery! ;) Cheers for the feedback and the vote sir! :D

Awesome! 5y

9. avatar Andrew Joy says:

This single handed analogue movement will appeal to anyone looking for a minimalist styled wristwatch. Excellent work as always.

10. avatar Krautesh Vakir says:

Love this one Pete :) 5/Y

11. avatar Nev says:

Was worried initially that the 5-minutes would be hard to read as it is so small, but the analogue layout gets over that. The blue on black works best for me, but I think green or white on black would look good too.
    I don’t particularly like the animation or when it looks like a flower, so I’d switch that off. I guess the late 60′s weren’t for me!
    Good luck and 5*/Y, as usual.

12. avatar Debbie D says:

Oooh pink pink pink pink!! I love this!

I like the overall look. I like the multiple-tone case. I like that it’s using 1 hand + blocks. Very easy to read. I like the “red wine” display on black band. (4th pic, including the animation) I like the animation. It would be nice to have it for, let say, 5-10 seconds every 15 minutes. I would buy. 5 * (or 10)

• avatar Pete says:

Im glad you like Makko, and if you would be willing to buy if it were made then I couldnt ask for a better endorsement! Cheers very much sir! :D