Aquatica – Portholes Show Time

Design submitted by Lloyd from Australia.

Lloyd says: I love visiting aquariums and watching the fish and other aquatic creatures glide almost effortlessly around. I find it a great way to chill out. “Aquatica” is my attempt to recreate this experience in an LCD watch.

The time and date are easy to read and are displayed as slightly disguised digits in 4 round windows or portholes. The digits can either be displayed as parts of fish or as arrangements of bubbles. Both types of digit can also be displayed at the same time but in different windows. In addition, there’s a cryptic mode in which the numerical values of 1 and 3 are ascribed to the 2 different sized bubbles. The seconds are displayed in all modes by a vertical column of rising bubbles on the left side of the display with a new bubble appearing every 5 seconds.

There are several fun animations to keep you entertained. One shows a fish swimming from left to right across the top and bottom windows and the other shows bubbles bubbling.

Aquatica is USB rechargeable via a computer. It also has an alarm and an EL backlight which makes the display easier to read at night. The watch’s case and strap are made from stainless steel and the display is “always on”. It is waterproof too.

This design would appeal to anyone who loves quirky modern gadgets, aquariums, fish, the ocean, creativity and thinking “outside the box”.

It stands out because of its very unique concept and its 3 different display options which are sure to catch people’s attention as well as be a great topic of conversation. It is also something you could become emotionally attached to.

Rating: 4.1/5
Aquatica - Portholes Show Time, 4.1 out of 5 based on 50 ratings

Tags: , , , , , ,

30 Responses to “Aquatica – Portholes Show Time”

1. avatar Laszlo says:

TOKYOFISH :D
    I like it it’s very funny!

Hi Lloyd, I love the fish that pass through the windows, it’s great!
    Nice concept, nice animation and poetic side that always appeals to me.
    Full of stars and multiple Yes.

Hehe…Fishai. Love the theme – especially the fish animation. Five starfish and yes from me!

I wonder if you could somehow incorporate a real fluid in this design. Like looking through bluish gel to the numbers…

5. avatar Firdaus R says:

such a fun idea! I’ll buy one for my princess… she would love it!

Thanx a lot for posting this design TF. :) Unfortunately, one important image has been left off showing the bubble numbers displayed. So here it is if you want to take a look:

Very creative and very fun! What ever drugs you are taking I gotta get me some! lol
    Me likey very mush! ;) 5/Y best of luck! :D

That’s quite clever and creative. I wouldn’t get me an aquarium watch but I see what you did there :D The different time telling modes offer quite some diversion. The porthole windows and the bubble scale on the left go well with the nautic theme. The fishy numbers… haha so cute. I can see a shark and one of those deep down in the dark fishes and a carp. The little rhombus fish is fun too. Maybe the bubble animation can be made looking like ascending bubbles. That would be perfect then. 5* for this well thought through concept Lloyd!

• avatar mushy says:

Thanx Sam. :) There are some Angel fish and Groupers too I think somewhere. Sorry about the bubble animation. I just wanted to give the impression of bubbles bubbling cos the file size has to be so small.

9. avatar xian says:

Yoob donoob agaibbb, mushybbblub! Ahhh! This is a breath of fresh air! A new fav of mine. I second dzign’s suggestion of liquid, but I think it should be thinner than gel, so you really get waves if you rock your wrist. Corny or not, I would even add bubble sound fx for alarms, timers, etc. 5 starfish and dive!

• avatar mushy says:

Really glad you like it xian. :) I nearly put that it should have a bubble sound for the alarm and thought I’d better not. hehe Thanx for your feedback.

10. avatar Ai says:

I’m a big fan of aquariums too and I am a big fan of Aquatica now!

I like little optical illusion that appears when the fish swims from one bowl to another. Not only is it fun, it’s also very easy to read and becomes second nature after a few tries.

I like the blue one the best, but the other pastel colors work very nice.

5 and yes!

Great job as always Lloyd! Good luck!

11. avatar Cucucachew says:

Another beauty, Lloyd. Well done. The last illustration looks like Orion’s Belt. :-)

12. avatar José says:

I agree with Laszlo…
    Nothing new to add.
    My support. Good luck Lloyd

13. avatar anokha says:

Nice, all the best!

I only like the bubbles mode. I like the idea for the seconds, but would prefer if they where on the other side, & the asymmetrical look.