“One Line II” watch curves towards infinity

Design submitted by Sam from Germany.

Sam says: I had once the idea of an analog-like watch that shows the time by a single line. One Line II is another approach to this idea.

Imagine two circles, an upper one and a lower one. Both have to be seen as E-paper analog watch displays with the upper one showing the hours and the lower one showing the minutes. The above mentioned single line starts at the current hour position of the upper circle, goes through the point, where both circles meet and ends in the current minute position of the lower circle. To ease up reading, each circle center has a little bump in the watch glass. The smooth display finds its response in a smooth case which is molten with the straps. The display surface is touch sensitive.

This smooth and fluent design is made for the women out there. But men, who are certain about their masculinity can wear it too hehe. It’s a suggestion. A unisex model would work too of course.

One Line II is a slightly geeky and stylish fashion gadget at the same time.

Rating: 4.4/5
"One Line II" watch curves towards infinity, 4.4 out of 5 based on 57 ratings

Tags: , , , , ,

29 Responses to ““One Line II” watch curves towards infinity”

1. avatar Heather says:

it’s very nice and elegant.
    i can see it being very popular, especially with teenagers if it’s priced right.
    but practically for me, i wouldn’t wear it – again for the same reason i’ve given before – analog without indicators doesn’t work so well in my brain (and indicators on this watch would mess up the awesome minimal look).
    also, i would never know which color to choose! (maybe white)
    i give it 5* anyway and my full support! good luck! :)

• avatar Samukun says:

Nice what you see!!

I had a cute indicator idea. I will show you all in another version.

Thanks alot for your insight and your support Heather!

2. avatar Firdaus R says:

very good design yes want 5y

This looks great Sam! I must be all man cos I would happily wear this! 5/Y best of luck sir! :D

4. avatar Krautesh Vakir says:

Very simple and effective time telling but like Heather I would prefer indicators of some kind to help with reading the time. Still a winner though 5/Y :)

When I saw it, I thought “S for Sam”. Looks very Swatchy, which I love.

5y

6. avatar xian says:

No indicators, Sam. Who HAS to know that it’s 3:42 instead of 3:45? 11:11 instead of 11:10? Ok maybe public transit passengers….Anyway, GET THERE EARLY. I think the concept is brilliant and elebantly executed. 5y

• avatar xian says:

elegantly. I wish TF would add an edit feature to the blog posts for sleepy people :(

• avatar Tokyoflash Japan Product Design Studio says:

I agree. If your train leaves at 3:45 & you are planning to arrive at the station at 3:42 to are asking for trouble no matter what watch you wear.
      I love the idea of ‘rough time’, without the single minutes even, so 3:40 / 3:45 is good enough for me.

• avatar Samukun says:

Hehe, estimating minutes fram watch hand angles is fun ;) I don’t try to cover all situations one can have on a day. The need for a precise time is as necesary as the need for an easy (quick, functional) to read time. There are so many watches out there that already do it. It’s time to break those chains. I create with an image in my mind and I keep it up as much as possible. Sometimes I don’t think about indicators, sometimes I definitely don’t want them and sometimes I try to implement them. There could be a cute solution, which I tell Toky if this concept would ever be considered. Or I show it in verion 3. Or 4.

Oh Toky, rough times are cool. If the watch becomes more a fashion accessory, then time can be more fun, less function. Hm… function follows fun!

Hallo Sam, how to design a Watch more simply?
    Very very extremely, 5*/Yes.

• avatar Samukun says:

More simply is possible but we have to be careful with the aesthetics and the function. But if it’s fun, anything is allowed :D Hardcore merci a toi Patrick!!

I like the idea Sam, but I wish it did a bit more. lol I’d get bored of it after a couple of days. It is very stylish though and I think a lot of people who like minimalist design would go for it.

• avatar Samukun says:

I know exactly what you mean Lloyd. A watch from Toky should entertain more than just some days. Here you can imagine all times pretty quick because it’s so simple. But as you see too, a mere shape can also please, independently from it’s meaning. It’s nice to play with it :) Thank you for your comprehensible comment!

• avatar Samukun says:

Oh just as reaction to the question of Patrick. A watch can be more simple, just two dots for the minutes and the hours. But that’s really boring. Here the line changes in lenght and orientation and always tries to be elegant.

I like the idea but the overall look is too feminine. However, the black with white line is the most unisex & my fav.

For a rare time, I agree with the choice of not having indicators. 1 reason is that my “Infinity” (the original) doesn’t use them. (the line is used for the second) The other is that it would “damage” the overall look.

• avatar Makkovik says:

If you add the indicators, I would suggest adding a small-as-possible symbol where the dots are. Maybe a 6 dash asterisk, which would mark the even hours & the 6 “10′s minute”.

• avatar Samukun says:

Interesting idea about the indicators! I thought about something else… Maybe I’ll do it in version 3 :) I always try around with the shapes. I could’ve done it more manly and gadgety but this single elegant line pretty early guided me to a simple and elegant watch. This time for the girls ;) I agree, I would take the black one too. Thank you for your thoughts Makk!!

10. avatar Jose says:

I do not think you can say more with less, Sam
    Congratulations for the simplicity of the concept.
    5*/Y :)

Thank you all for your words! I apreciate them. I have a good feeling about how to improve this design and also try something else of which I don’t know how it will be recieved, cos it’s mere funto try. If the watch would be out there as it is, I do think it could reach quite some people. This was a nice time. So don’t forget about this concept when we’re jumping to the next!

:D