Paper Blade e-paper watch creates a time-stencil.

Design submitted by Devindh from the UK.

Devindh says: This design is another exploration of the possibilities of e-paper. I wanted to use the idea of a custom cut piece of e-paper as a starting point for a unique timepiece.

The display consists of a custom shaped piece of e-paper that is covered by a pierced geometric grid. The grid divides the paper into 4 ‘cells’. Upper and lower cells show the day, month, and year, and the central ‘cell’ shows the time in 24 hr format (the smaller digits showing minutes, and the larger digits showing hours).

This watch is probably more suited to males, but certain colour and material combinations might appeal to women also.

Many of the watches on the blog have time as the main focus. I think that the inclusion of day/month/year functionality helps to set this watch apart from the others.

Rating: 4.1/5
Paper Blade e-paper watch creates a time-stencil., 4.1 out of 5 based on 65 ratings

Tags: , , , , , ,

32 Responses to “Paper Blade e-paper watch creates a time-stencil.”

1. avatar Gordon says:

Wow, it’s a shame this probably won’t be made.5* of course

• avatar Colored circle says:

Hey Gordon,

I always try to design things that are plausible. Having said that I appreciate that e-paper technology is still relatively ‘new’. I don’t know what the limits are in terms of size, and having inner cut outs.

• avatar gordon says:

Actually I was reffering to the fact that my favorite watches here have not been made

• avatar Colored circle says:

Ah…..lol:) Well some of us have been around long enough on this blog to realise that the recipe for success is never clear cut. The conclusion I have come to is that I will try to put some of my concepts into production myself this coming year. I have plenty of ideas and refinements of ideas that I will be copyrighting and developing privately. I urge others to do the same if they feel frustrated about not ‘breaking through’ here.

• avatar Pete says:

Nice one Devindh! Its cool if you have the contacts and means to make your own concepts a reality. Most of us obviously lack the technical knowledge let alone the money or facilities to do it ourselves. I would be really interested to see your results. Will you post images here if your are sucessfull with your own projects?

• avatar Makkovik says:

Devindh, it’s nice that you have the contacts & means. I have many idea ( about 85 ) & I know where & when I could get a lot of contact, in asia, but I don’t have the money. ( & lack some technical knowledge ).

I’ll try to get in contact with you, this week.

2. avatar Gordon says:

Probably my favorite watch on this site for a long time, it’s like the numbers are the art

Wow o.o Very interesting display layout!! Looks like an alien device to me ♥ The color combinations are very stylish. I like the bronze version and the dark gray version most. The day and month font matches the overall edginess, but I’m not a big fan of it. Anyway, it wouldn’t stop me from purchasing. I think with affordable black/white e-paper and color screens not the exact but a similar display could be achieved. 5*/Good luck!!

• avatar Colored circle says:

Hey Sam thanks as always for a detailed and honest response. When I was designing the case shape I was always aware that it might end up looking a bit like the famous casio shape. I had to make it more angular, but this might not appeal to some people.

4. avatar Colored circle says:

Thanks TF for adding this to the blog.

I like the concept and the masking layer with all the windows. Gives the watch a sense of depth. I like the different sizes and fonts which make it look detailed and complex etc. Like Sam says it has an alien look to it. For me the design could be a little more elegent and some how more cohesive, but these are things that TF could refine if they chose to develop the idea further. Nice work Devindh! Support worthy concept 5/Y Best of luck! :D

• avatar Colored circle says:

Thanks Pete. All your points are noted. Can’t wait to see what your prolific mind has to offer and the very best of luck with your work also.

• avatar Pete says:

hehe I read that and my mind substituted the word prolific with many different profanities! lol
        There is always something in the pipeline (whether they are any good is for everyone else to decide of course) Cheers for the luck!

• avatar Colored circle says:

*Giggles* Just posting a response to your comment above here pete. I doubt that I would post images of something I eventually produce here, because there would be no need. This blog is it’s own entity. But if you have an e-mail address I would happily shoot You a mail, If you were interested in seeing how things turned out:).

• avatar Pete says:

I would love to see your progress! Are you on fb? You could msg me there if you are (Id prefer not to put my email adress on here, too many spammers will see it! lol):

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/peter.fletcher.148 or

• avatar Pete says:

My originalis awaitin moderation! Doh!

or click on my yellow name and msg me via my fb page

6. avatar xian says:

Hi, Devindh! I think you have a great sense of color, as I like all the combinations above. I love the frame around the numbers, and the differet levels it creates. I’d be interested in following your progress outside of this forum as well!

• avatar Colored circle says:

Hey xian,

thanks for the positive comments. I really appreciate it. Getting a design manufactured is usually a long process, so it might be a while before I have something to show, but I am determined, so that day will come. If you have any design ambitions I wish you every success:)

7. avatar Dana says:

I really like this design. It’s different, as in unique, which is something the world could use a little more of! The color options are really cool, too. The design also reminds me of Star Fox! (A game I should really put down, but I just can’t! lol)

• avatar Colored circle says:

hey Dana,

Thanks for the kind words. I’m glad it reminds you of something addictive. Guess that’s a good sign right?:)

8. avatar Cory says:

Delightfully eccentric! I love it.

I’m not sure, but I think that I think this watch is cool. While I’m still deciding on what I think, I’ve given you 5y. I’m getting conflicting emotions…I feel like I’ve just seen a beautiful woman who’s in fact a man. Maybe I’ll just shut up and go to bed.

Good luck!

• avatar Colored circle says:

Hmmmm…….don’t know what to say:) yes perhaps sleep is a good idea:)

PS. Thanks:)

• avatar dzign555 says:

Sorry if I offended…that’s what happens when you post messages late at night! I like the one with the reddish face and blue band, and I’d buy one in a heart-beat!

Cheers.

• avatar Colored circle says:

lol, dude i’m just kidding. I’m happy that u took the time to comment (even if u think the watch is a she-male:)

10. avatar Colored circle says:

This message is for Pete, (or anybody else who might want to get in touch with me) , my e-mail address is coloredc@gmail.com

I havent made a fb account, only because my life isn’t sufficiently interesting to share with others:).

I like the idea of having the weekday on top & month, day, year under the time. I also like the look of the case & the letters rendering. But I don’t like the result of the time itself. ( the time-telling method & result )