Shapeshifter – Time Within Shapes

Design submitted by Lloyd from Australia.

Lloyd says: “Shapeshifter” is an LCD concept watch that uses weird looking shapes to display the time and date in a slightly perplexing way. The shapes resemble those found in games like Tetris and give the watch a geeky retro feel.

Reading the time or date is easy once you know how. Just ignore the outer lines of the shapes and you’ll be able to see that each one contains a digit.

Shapeshifter is USB rechargeable via a computer, and has an alarm. The watch’s case and strap are made from stainless steel and are available in silver or black. The display is available in different colours and is “always on”.

This design would appeal to anyone who likes cool modern gadgets, puzzles, games, geeks, art, creativity, thinking “outside the box” and having fun.

It stands out because of its unique and easy to read cryptic display.

Rating: 3.8/5
Shapeshifter - Time Within Shapes, 3.8 out of 5 based on 61 ratings

Tags: , , , , , ,

34 Responses to “Shapeshifter – Time Within Shapes”

1. avatar Cory says:

Was waiting for this one to hit. Methinks Lloyd has struck awesome on this design. The digits are cryptic enough to hide the numbers from the unaware, and simple enough to be instantaneous once you know.

Nicely done, good sir!

2. avatar JP says:

Love the number design on this. Just using the stock images, I found myself able to visualize the numbers in the blocks. Clever little piece, here.

I’m not sold on LCD. It’s too dim and doesn’t mesh well with the watch face. I think that LCD looks cheap. How would e-paper look?

3. avatar Firdaus says:

Sleek as always, but I would suggest to add shadow effect to the digits so they would look more precious.
    See you in Vegas!

Thanx for posting this design TF! :)

Another instant classic from Lloyd, simple but cryptic numbers with a tetrisie (that’s a real word now) feel. Very nice, very make able, very jealous! 5/Y best of luck! :D

Nice one, Lloyd. I would suggest a reveal mode, as it may take a bit of getting used to, and if you don’t wear the watch for a while you might forget.

Cheers 5*/y

• avatar mushy says:

Thanx a lot DZ! :) I thought about adding a reveal mode, but everytime I have someone says that it doesn’t need one. lol Also, I don’t think it’s all that difficult to remember to ignore the outside line of each shape.

7. avatar Leonard Lee Kah Khiong says:

I quite agree with dzign555 on reveal mode. I like the picture 1 because the numbers is obvious. Without the picture 1, for me, it is hard to read time.

Hi Mushy, the idea is nice, but I have a little problem reading. Example, the model 6:23, the merge between the numbers 6 (which may be an 8 or 9 etc..?) Ditto for 2 and 3, except 0 is readable. Or then, would it be necessary to thin or thicken the external threads the figures?
    5 * / Yes to the idea.

• avatar mushy says:

Hey Patrick! No worries. :) Just imagine that the outside line of each shape is not there. You’ll then be able to see the digits clearly and you won’t get them confused.

• avatar mushy says:

Try drawing them and then erasing the outside line and you’ll see what I mean. ;)

• avatar Patrick says:

OK, I understand.
        I understand quickly, after long explanations, I had not made ​​the connection with the external lines, which are different for each figure.
        Thank Mushy for your clarification.
        I do not regret my 5* and my Yes.

• avatar Patrick says:

OK, I understand.
        Thank Mushy for your clarification.
        I do not regret my 5* and my Yes.

• avatar mushy says:

No worries Patrick. :) I think Leonard and DZ didn’t see that part of the explanation either. I didn’t understand why they couldn’t understand it, cos it’s SO simple. hehe

• avatar dzign555 says:

You’re right, Lloyd – I didn’t read your explanation. It’s very easy to read the time now.

Cheers.

• avatar mushy says:

No worries DZ. Maybe I should have mentioned it in the diagram too to make doubly sure. :)

9. avatar xian says:

Simple elegant geometry. I like!

10. avatar Krautesh Vakir says:

Dam the rating should be higher for this uber cool design, this is awesome, cleverly hidden numbers 5/Y

I don’t like the digits on this one but the case/band is nice. I would buy the red display with black lines with the gray case with black accent, if the digits where the geometrik’s one.