Vent LED watch filters time industrially

Design submitted by Peter from the UK.

I wanted to come up with a very simple LED watch that uses easily recognizable digital numbers for quick time reading while looking abstract and cryptic the majority of the time.

The easiest way I could think of achieving this is to have the time only visible from a specific perspective. So as the name suggest I used a form similar to a louvered vent. The reason being is that the louvers force you into looking at the watch from a 45degree angle. Looking from other angles just shows an array of lights. The other advantage of this is that the louvres add shade to the display helping in reading the time in bright light.

The time is told by an array of LEDs which are layered out in rows corresponding to the louvers.

These LEDs display the time in a digital format when looked at from a 45 degree angle. The date would also de displayed in the same way. The LEDs also lend themselves to various animations and modes such as always sporadic mode which displays the time at intervals to save battery life.

The form is inspired by an industrial product and therefore retains that industrial but futuristic look. Other types of grille could also be available, which could be interchanged to give the customer an element of customization. These elements should appeal to people who like stark, industrial, rugged looking products, or cylons for that matter.

This design should stand out due to its simple industrial form, its clutter free look and slim line proportions. The simple LED display is easy to read and manufacture.

Also this concept could easily be retro fitted into existing watch housings which would increase the viability.

Rating: 3.9/5
Vent LED watch filters time industrially, 3.9 out of 5 based on 80 ratings

Tags: , , , , ,

36 Responses to “Vent LED watch filters time industrially”

1. avatar Matt says:

Awesome concept! This would be fun to wear, and fun to look at. The time can be read very easily, as long as you look at it from the right angle. Good Job!

2. avatar Mr.Taco says:

¦( i almost got first anywho realy nice and cool looking i like that you mentioned that the shade will alow you to be able to see the numbers better in the daylight without the hassle of shading with your hand!

Signed by¦
    Mr.Taco

• avatar Pete says:

Agh so close but yet so far hehe. Yeah the louvers are both aesthetic and practical. I thank you for your vote and feedback! :D signed: Mr Pete ;)

3. avatar Heather says:

5* – this is a very cool idea. great look. it’s definitely uncon-vent-ional. this idea is very in-vent-ive. ok, i’m running out of puns. i hope this one e-vent-ually becomes a reality!

• avatar Samukun says:

I’d e-vent-ually buy this in-vent-ion and go on an ad-vent-ure with it. I like how the gills pre-vent the sunlight from e-ven t-ouching the LEDs so they can glow fer-vent-ly. I hope I’ll be sol-vent when this watch comes out… maybe on a se-vent-h xD 5*/YES, come in my in-vent-ory!

• avatar Pete says:

Crikey Sam so many puns! I “louvre” them all! I’m glad this design appeals! I was hoping this design would e”vent”ually hit the blog, I’m really chuffed with the response so far! Cheers for the comment and the vote! :D

• avatar Pete says:

Hehe thanks Heather! I’m glad you like it and enjoyed the puns! Sadly I can’t think of any myself, it’s like the ele”vent” in the room! Lol thanks for the great comment and vote! :D

Great idea Pete. ;) I think you may have started a trend. 5* and Yes.

5. avatar Krautesh Vakir says:

This is an awesome idea, me likey lots :) nice renders too, 5/Y

Another watch I could wear.
    5 * / Yes.

7. avatar Marcus says:

Great stuff, Peter!

Thanks Toky for adding this design to the blog! :D

• avatar Pete says:

If anyone would like to see alternative colours/finishes check out the vent album on my fb page “PF Design” click on my yellow name to link straight to my page. :D

Can’t you just say in our language, how much you like this watch?

10. avatar WatchGeek says:

I like this vented concept. I believe this would be a trend setter here in the USA. It would look great on the wrist. I would love to put it in collection and share it with others by wearing it often. I would be a definite buyer.

• avatar Pete says:

That’s great to hear watchgeek, thanks for telling. Hopefully one day it will be available to be added to your collection! Thanks for the great feedback! :D

11. avatar Dianekmt says:

Nice design, easy to read.

Diane.

• avatar Pete says:

Thanks a lot Diane, im glad it appeals to Ladies too. I wasn’t sure it would as it is a little industrial looking. Thanks for the comment and vote! :D

12. avatar Firdaus says:

Simpler version of denshoku really? I can say that its a hybrid of denshoku and keisan in an easiest way to tell time. Well done, but because the design looks too familiar I’d give it 4*

• avatar Pete says:

Yeah it does have a classic TF look, which will hopefully appeal to the old school fans while the time telling is easy for everyone. I’m happy with a 4! Cheers for the feedback and the vote Fir! :D

Still luv it. WOOOOOOSHHHH (sound of time being vented through the gills)

14. avatar United States essay says:

Looking for free United States essay paper? It is not a big deal, just check writing services, which propose the college essays.

a nice concept. I would buy.

Time is quickly running out for this concept, so just remains for me to say a big thanks to everyone who voted, commented and shared/liked! Cheers to TF for posting it here!

Pete from team GB :D