Inside-Out LCD watch stacks up time digits

Design submitted by Heather from the USA

Heather says: After designing the digits for my n-gon display concept, I found that I could make digits similar to those that would stack well, since they have no middle.

I thought it would be fun to have the time read from the inside-out, since it allows a changing look to the display every minute, and because it allows for a descriptive and catchy name, “Inside-out”.

The digits themselves are quite easy to distinguish.  With a brief overview, all one needs to do is identify the differences between the 1 and the 7, and the rest should come naturally.

The sleek square display is a mirrored LCD with one color, and comes with a SS strap.

This is intended as a unisex design that would be appropriate for anyone who likes a digital display with a cryptic element.

This design stands out because it looks artistic and eye-catching before anyone even realizes it can also tell you the time.

Rating: 3.8/5
Inside-Out LCD watch stacks up time digits, 3.8 out of 5 based on 68 ratings

Tags: , , , , ,

28 Responses to “Inside-Out LCD watch stacks up time digits”

1. avatar Matt W. says:

Nice Idea Heather! This concept is very creative, and easy to tell time with. The only troubling part is when the hour is 12, its a bit confusing. But overall, very nice.

• avatar Heather says:

Thanks for your comment, Matt! I’m glad you find it easy to read.
      To clarify the 12 hour, each time display shows 4 different sizes of digits.
      The smallest digit will only ever by a 0 or a 1. (or a 2 if TF wanted to make it 24 hour mode)
      So if you see a 2 with a 0 inside, the hour is 02,
      but if you see a 2 with a 1 inside, the hour is 12.
      Thanks for your support!

The digits work great Heather. Well done! 5* and Yes!

• avatar Heather says:

Thanks for your comment and support, Lloyd! :D I look forward to more of your puzzling creations ;)

Nice variation on the stacked digits theme. The inside out reading feels quite intuative and the geometric numbers are easily recognised. Also this format gives the display a sense of depth like the infinity mirror designs. 5/Y best of luck! :D

• avatar Heather says:

Thanks for your review, Pete! :) It means a lot coming from someone who has stacked digits quite nicely in the past…I hadn’t thought of the infinity mirror connection before, but I suppose you’re right about that. I appreciate the support!

Upside down, girl ( ;) ) you turn me inside out, and round and round ♪

The digits are very nice and well thought through to be stackable. What an artistic result! It’s more an image than a time telling display at first glance. I like the turquoise (aka green touched by blue) numbers on metallic background. 5*/OH YES/Good luck!

• avatar Heather says:

Hey, Sam! You sing quite nicely ;)
      Thanks for the detailed review, as always. I agree that it looks more like an image than a time telling display at first. That’s why I made the time reading inside-out, so you see a nice variety of images that changes every minute.
      Thanks for the stars, the “OH YES”, and the good luck wishes! :)

5. avatar Laszlo says:

There is always new under the Blutonian’s sun!
    Love. 5* / Y

6. avatar Zack says:

This is a really cool design like all of your others. Keep it up!

7. avatar Curt says:

very clever! nick work.

8. avatar Matt says:

Nice work. This concept is very easy to learn, and seems simple and fun. Putting the time “inside out” was a great and clever idea.

9. avatar linda says:

Love this design! Simple & fun, yet intriguing.

• avatar Heather says:

Hi Linda! It’s nice to see other females on the blog! Thanks so much for your comment!

10. avatar Evan S says:

Very cool! It has a great look – another poster mentioned how it has the feeling of an infinity-mirror, which I agree with and think is really cool. It’s so easy to read, and yet the inside-out aspect to it makes the process fun – you feel like you’re moving outward through the inside of a tunnel while reading it. The stacking of the digits without interfering with each other, because they have empty middles and are progressively-sized, was an extremely clever idea! Love it!

• avatar Heather says:

Wow, Evan! Thanks so much for your detailed review!! In general, one of my goals in creating my designs is to make time-reading fun, so that’s great to hear! Thanks for your support. :)

11. avatar Jens says:

Very clever indeed!
    Space saving and yet easy to read.
    As always you are very creative at tweaking shapes of the digits.
    I do like how you managed the balance of no cavities and the outlines correct to get a good readability.

12. avatar Dom says:

Heather:

I love the concept of INSIDE OUT. After the first or second try I was able to read the numbers with ease. I have noticed that you have designed other watches as well. You may end up with your entire line of watches.
    Best of luck,

Dom

• avatar Heather says:

Dom, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with reading the numbers. Whenever I make new digits, I’m never really sure how other people will see it. ;) I’m glad to hear it works well!
      It would be a dream come true to have a whole line of watches…so kind of you to suggest it could happen! Thanks for the good luck wishes!

Nice idea, Heather!

14. avatar Jun Fan Lee says:

This is damn cool, you have made a simple design into a complex artistic design, this is awesome!!

nice concept. i might buy one.