Hybrid watch merges Analogue and LCD

Design submitted by Peter from the UK.

Peter says:This is “Hybrid” a watch that combines both LCD (or LED) with a mechanical analogue movement.

I wanted to come up with a visually simple design that is intuitive and quick to read.

The time telling method is very simple, the arrow shaped hand has 12 LCD (or LED) blocks representing the hours. This hand is part of a disc which rotates powered by the mechanical movement to point towards the minutes. Around the outside of the disc is a ring of LCD (or LED)blocks  that represent the seconds, this gives the watch some animation.

The simple visual language is traditional in its form and proportions so shouldn’t scare off traditionalists, while the addition of the LCD (or LED) element gives the design a contemporary feel that hopefully will attract the more adventurous.

This design will hopefully stand out due to its simple time reading method and combination or new and old. Using two technologies that are tried and tested should add feasibility to the designs credentials. The form also lends itself to pre-existing watch housings, again adding to the viability.

Rating: 4.3/5
Hybrid watch merges Analogue and LCD, 4.3 out of 5 based on 103 ratings

Tags: , , , , ,

91 Responses to “Hybrid watch merges Analogue and LCD”

Thanks TF for adding this design to the blog! :D

Oh this is a cool one! I like the idea, I like the interesting display, I like the simple geometry. Really cool, digital hours, analog minutes and an ever changing seconds ring. I would like the black one please :)

• avatar Pete says:

This was intended as one of my more realistic designs. I dont know if the extra complication of the mechanical movement will be a negative from a technical perspective but seemed to fit the theme nice. Its simple and sober and a fairly blank canvass for TF to develop (if they want too)
      One black one for Sir! Thanks for the positive comment! :D

3. avatar Jun Fan Lee says:

BAD ***…THIS IS EVEN COOLER THAN THE TRON WATCH!!!

• avatar Pete says:

I dont know if it can be compared to the legend that is severn but I am very happy with the association!
      Im glad you like it! Thanks for the epic comment! :D

4. avatar Heather says:

i like this a lot. the ever-changing seconds definitely gets my vote! 5*/yes in black, please. ;)

• avatar Pete says:

Hi Heather, I was worried it was too visually simple, so Im really happy you like it. I’ll get a black one giftwrapped! Thanks for the comment and the vote! :D

Cool design Pete! 5 stars and yes!

6. avatar glen1n says:

very stylish indeed. how about a silver watch with red display ??

7. avatar Mindwatches says:

I like this idea! Black one please!
    (5* and yes)

Hi Pete, nice idea, simple …
    I would wear this watch every day and I will have a requette, about the reading of the hours, if you could indicate by a notch or other visually divisier hideout for 12 bars, because for a quick count, it’s a bit difficult, without changing appearance.
    5 * / Yes, with time to send the product, following my order?

• avatar Pete says:

Yeah the hours could be subtly divided up to make time reading easier/quicker, if there was an LED version different coloured leds could be used. Im glad you like the concept despite of this detail. Thank you for the feedback, the comment and the vote! :D

9. avatar logan says:

I like it, maybe one of my favorites of yours. LCD + analog is a great combo. I’ve taken a different approach in a submission called Particle Wave (that hasn’t appeared on the blog yet), but I like this, too.

• avatar Pete says:

Im glad you like it Logan! This is one of my more restrained designs, my more recent stuff is aimed at being more realistic. “Particle Wave” sounds very interesting, I look forward to seeing it on the blog! Thanks for the great comment! :D

10. avatar Tokyoflash Japan Product Design Studio says:

OK everyone, this is a great design! I have one problem though. That disk in the middle can’t be metal unless we pay top dollar to Seiko to make. Maybe if we go smaller in size we might get away with it but this shape and size for the disk is the only obstacle. We have come across this issue any times over the years and yet to find a solution. Maybe 30mm Diameter with a smaller aluminum disk may work. I’ll check into it.

• avatar Pete says:

I presume you mean that the disk would be too heavy for the mechanical movement to move cosistantly and realiably. This is useful information for the future.
      Could the disc be plastic with a metal effect coating? I have see such in the past and you wouldn’t know it wasnt soild (besides the weight of course).
      Another work around perhaps is the have a larger lcd under the disk, the disk would then only require a hand shaped window cut into it showing the lcd below. Thanks for the feedback TF! and I appreciate you taking the time to look into it! :D

• avatar Tokyoflash Japan Product Design Studio says:

Yes the disk. I think this design is great if can have a metal or (Metal looking disk) Rotating. This is what makes the design look special. Both metal and this size done to make look quality (not plasticy) are heavy. Ideally aluminum would be best, that is what would make this design shine. If cheap looking in any way it will look like the thousands of other watches out there with plastic looking rotating disks. Really it shouldn’t be hard but that is a major obstacle. The only one been done to date is the Seiko Issey Miyake TO watch. http://www.isseymiyake-watch.com/eg/archive/index.html (2008 TO) Sells for about $450.00 and a beautiful design. Seiko make it.

• avatar Pete says:

Yeah that is a nice looking watch (should be for that price of course).
          I have no issues with changing the size of the disk to make it more viable and am a big fan of Aluminium and the turned on a lathe/machined look.

If there is anything you would like me to do regarding changing the proportion etc just let me know!

• avatar Tokyoflash Japan Product Design Studio says:

It’s a great design Pete. I am in the middle of asking if it’s possible with a smaller disk. I would like to keep this outlook as much as possible I feel. This is a watch anyone could wear and easily tell the time on. Minimal and would suit a wide audience. You have an eye for good design.

• avatar Pete says:

Thank you very much for taking the time with this one!
      To be honest I find it very difficult to guess what would be liked by TF and of course the voting public.
      So I try to a mix of the weird and the more realistic, hopefully the odd one will be well recieved by all. Its taken a while but I think my latest submissions have a balance of interesting while being more realistic. Im am just grateful for the opertunity to submit to the blog and more grateful that some of them get on there, I dont take it for granted. I know a lot of designs dont make it.
      Its a really great platform for design and I cant believe more companies haven’t taken a leaf out of TF’s book!
      So thanks for posting the design/s and even more thanks for the interest! :D

11. avatar SupaD says:

Great design, love it, love it!!! But the seconds circle should indicate Hours and Seconds. The pointer should point to minutes and display power level. Also could be solar powered. Still loving though!!

• avatar Pete says:

Thats an interesting suggestion, this format does lend itself to a few configurations. The main reason I chose to show the seconds on the outer ring was to give the watch an animated appearance, but like you say you could have the hours and seconds on there. The hours would be a postive block untill the seconds goes by and then would be a negative block untill the seconds reach 59. A power level and solar powered are also nice features but may add extra complication. Fingers crossed these features are viable!
      Thanks for the feedback and the comment! :D

12. avatar Jun Fan Lee says:

Loads of blog entries on external sites…Feedback directly from TF themselves…4.2 stars….sorry but, this will be made…its too cool, and pete, the bet is still on. LOL…i will give u my adress soon gegegeeg (H)

13. avatar Mindwatches says:

Go Peter go!

14. avatar Dianekmt says:

This is simple to read, very modern, and the case is classy! Nice for men or women.

Diane.

• avatar Pete says:

Yeah it was intended as a very simple minimal design, originally it didn’t have the seconds ring around the outside but looked too simple. The proportions hopefully would suite all wrist sizes. Thanks for the great comment! :)

15. avatar steve says:

So different! Loving me a black one!

16. avatar Andrew says:

The design is nice. Simple and Elegant.
    I think it needs three more things to give it mass appeal:
    1) Availability in different colours, not just blue or black.
    2) The hour design needs some more work, to make the hour instantly recognizable:
    Outer LED on the arrow with different light for AM/PM
    Different bands of colours to make hour easier to compute, e.g.
    First 3 bands: blue, second 3 bands: yellow, third 3 bands: green, fourth 3 bands: red

Hi Andrew,

Im sure if TF were to produce this desgn they would do a wider selection of colours/finishes than I used for the submission. (if they do choose it they could maybe do a poll for colours etc?)
      I did think about dividing the hour hand into 3 or four blocks to make time reading easier, different colour blocks like you suggest would also work if LEDs were used.
      Maybe the colour of the backlight changes for the am/pm, then the watch would have two personalities, blue for day, red for night etc.
      Thanks for the the feedback and taking the time to make such a detailed comment! :D

17. avatar Jun Fan Lee says:

^^^ Andrew…the watch already has mass appeal, since TF have taken interest in the watch and also tons of external blogs have added the watch to their websites lol.

18. avatar Josh Anderson says:

The design is excellent blend of digital and analog . I don’t normal wear watches but would love to wear this one. I really like the idea of the black watch with the backlight changing from blue for daytime to red for nighttime.

19. avatar Martin says:

I like them all but the blue ilumination would be nice on the black and more colour options would be good e.g being able to mix and match maybe in the future.

20. avatar LuciaOlsen22 says:

Don’t buy not useful stuff and pay cash for custom research paper service, which can aid you to get a success.

I would buy one. I love the wristband link. The dots on the battery cover are nice but might be a problem when you wear it.

• avatar Pete says:

Im glad you like it in general, the dots on the reverse would only be subtle so I dont think they would cause any discomfort. Thanks for the feedback and the comment! :D

Only a few short hours left for this entry.
    Thanks to everyone who voted, commented and shared this design, thanks to the external blogs for featuring it on their sites and a big thanks to TF for posting it and showing it some interest. Fingers crossed that it proves to be viable x^^x

Thanks everyone.